Brewing using Coopers cans?

Brendan Ashe

1 minute ago, Barrelboy said:

Correct except add a bit of cold water to each droid as you shouldn’t put hot liquid in first and cold water will also help to drop the temperature.

Sounds cruisy, will see the Brew shop guy and tell him to get the Coopers Crown Lager tin for me as well and I'll get some hops to make teas with. I know I can get it on line but small town etc, rather pay a few bucks more and have a guy on the street with a shop in town. Plus he also does trophies and had no issues doing "Clubs biggest cockgobbler" on a trophy I awarded the club president last year at cricket, so he's a good guy 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

It’s good to support your local. Love the trophy but don’t want to win it. 😁

In  a small town, it is really important.

He gave me  grief over Brewart when i first walked into his shop..$500 later, he is all turned round on the idea. Still has no idea on what it is but good on him

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

So, 2-4 litres of water, boiled, add can and malt, then add half to each droid, fill to 10 litres and add yeast?

Hi Rob. Sounds about right from what I have read on the various forums. You have the benefit of 2 droids so no need to store half a can << insert jealous >>. Cheers Terry 

On 28/08/2019 at 6:13 AM, Rennce said:

Hi Rob. Sounds about right from what I have read on the various forums. You have the benefit of 2 droids so no need to store half a can << insert jealous >>. Cheers Terry 

Only so long you can hold out mate. You can try this method to get the missus to agree to the purchase.

For weeks, all I talked about was Brewart, beer making etc, any subject, I could segue into brewing, beer tastes, secondary fermentation. It got to the point she had that twitch happening on her left eyebrow and then one day I said "I need a second droid" and she said " fine, as long as you stop f&$cking talking about brewing"

And i did, and I have two droids and we are both happy

• Haha 3

So the winter dark ale had been fermenting for about 8 days when I got a “ready to keg” message. Thought I would give it a few more days to ferment as can instructions said 10 days. Today is day 10 and I got a message from the droid that it was moving it to storage mode automatically. Quite impressed in a way but also surprised it did it automatically rather than prompt you with “do you want to move it to storage?”. On another note last weekend I moved my kegged/bottled brews to a warmer room but still fluctuates between high 17c and 20c - an issue of living in tassie I suppose. 

43 minutes ago, Rennce said:

So the winter dark ale had been fermenting for about 8 days when I got a “ready to keg” message. Thought I would give it a few more days to ferment as can instructions said 10 days. Today is day 10 and I got a message from the droid that it was moving it to storage mode automatically. Quite impressed in a way but also surprised it did it automatically rather than prompt you with “do you want to move it to storage?”. On another note last weekend I moved my kegged/bottled brews to a warmer room but still fluctuates between high 17c and 20c - an issue of living in tassie I suppose. 

If your brew does go to storage you can change it back to “keg” and it won’t revert back to storage again. 17c + tops for carbonation.

26 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

If your brew does go to storage you can change it back to “keg” and it won’t revert back to storage again. 17c + tops for carbonation.

Hi Mark. Good to know re moving between kegging and storage. Re carbonation were you indicating the temp range was ok? What is too high for carbonation? My first brew tastes fine but seems a little low on carbonation and where I had it stored the temp sat at 16c unless we had the heater on. Cheers Terry

23 minutes ago, Rennce said:

Hi Mark. Good to know re moving between kegging and storage. Re carbonation were you indicating the temp range was ok? What is too high for carbonation? My first brew tastes fine but seems a little low on carbonation and where I had it stored the temp sat at 16c unless we had the heater on. Cheers Terry

16c is a bit low, carbonation will occur but take much longer. 18c makes a big difference in carbonation time however if you have it around 20c then that’s ideal. Putting a blanket/quilt can make a big difference particularly where you are.

Cheers

24 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

16c is a bit low, carbonation will occur but take much longer. 18c makes a big difference in carbonation time however if you have it around 20c then that’s ideal. Putting a blanket/quilt can make a big difference particularly where you are.

Cheers

Cheers for the advice. I did consider wrapping a doona around the brew so perhaps that is the way to go in winter

• Upvote 1

OK, tomorrow is the big day, the second droid will have had 24 hours with the hops  and about an hour turnaround and it should be done and ready.

So, sanatise everything I use

Boil water, add powder ( should i do this a bit at a time or just throw the pack in and stir?)

Hot water in a bowl to loosen up the mixture in the tin, then add, stir til dissolved, and then put like 6 litres of cold waterin droid, add mixture, get it to cool down a bit, then sprinkle yeast? 

I bottled my first droid can extract on the weekend. Tasted fine. I had forgotten how messy the cans are! On a side note The biggest issue I have is keeping secondary temp stable and above 18c down in Hobart. Have tried the doona trick but ambient temp still too cold. Might have to look at resolving this over the spring/summer. Beers brewed so far taste good but just not carbonated enough even after 3-4 weeks.  I have a brewprint Irish Red on now and experienced my first aggressive fermentation with leakage out the overflow in the lid. Cheers Terry

11 minutes ago, Rennce said:

I bottled my first droid can extract on the weekend. Tasted fine. I had forgotten how messy the cans are! On a side note The biggest issue I have is keeping secondary temp stable and above 18c down in Hobart. Have tried the doona trick but ambient temp still too cold. Might have to look at resolving this over the spring/summer. Beers brewed so far taste good but just not carbonated enough even after 3-4 weeks.  I have a brewprint Irish Red on now and experienced my first aggressive fermentation with leakage out the overflow in the lid. Cheers Terry

Had the same issue with my Irish Red and has been the only one to do this (touch wood).

Are your bottles in boxes, crates? Can you put them in a confined space eg. in the bottom of a wardrobe with the doona or in an esky with a jumper over them? 

Note, lower temps, 16 to 18C the bottles will carbonate but will take longer, around 6 to 8 weeks.

Cheers

3 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

Had the same issue with my Irish Red and has been the only one to do this (touch wood).

Are your bottles in boxes, crates? Can you put them in a confined space eg. in the bottom of a wardrobe with the doona or in an esky with a jumper over them? 

Note, lower temps, 16 to 18C the bottles will carbonate but will take longer, around 6 to 8 weeks.

Cheers

Hi Mark

All bottles and kegs are in cardboard boxes. i could try the esky with perhaps a water bottle in each night... kicking myself as a couple of weeks ago my in-laws fridge died and I took it to the tip. Would have made the perfect esky

10 minutes ago, Rennce said:

Hi Mark

All bottles and kegs are in cardboard boxes. i could try the esky with perhaps a water bottle in each night... kicking myself as a couple of weeks ago my in-laws fridge died and I took it to the tip. Would have made the perfect esky

Isn’t that the typical (the fridge). Now you’ve hit on an idea, look around for a cheap fridge/mini fridge (gum tree?) as could come in handy in summer as well.

I run a mini fridge using one of these 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F232168791741

You plug the fridge into the unit and the unit to the power point then set your temp parameters eg 18 to 20C for carbonation or    say 3 to 5C to chill. Takes over from fridge thermostat and has many uses.

4 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

Oh, you can also use a heat pad for heating in winter and only have the fridge set to cool incase temp went above a set value like 22C for carbonation purposes. The heat pad could be set for 18 to 20C. Bugger all power usage.

Cheers Mark

Hi Mark. Both great ideas and definitely worth pursuing. I had thought of a heat mat but wasn’t sure if it was up to the job. Funny enough I received a temp too high from the monitor I have in the room I currently store the beer in!!. Sunny day here and the glass sliding doors have allowed for beautiful warmth inside. Cheers Terry

• Upvote 1

16/9/19 after kegging a Deutsch Lager have put down a what I call a Citra Australian Pale Ale.

1/2 tin Coopers Australian Pale Ale

250g light dry malt extract

13g Citra hop, pellet infused tea for 30min. ( you may say “why 13g?” - that’s what fell out of the packet onto the scales, not far off 10g 🤫)

kit yeast (all of it)

Dry hop 20g Citra pellets in about 5 days. Leave for the 2 days of “ready to keg” mode.

Note: only 250gm of the malt as I wanted a mid range ale of about 3.8 to 4% alcohol. A nice spring/summer quaffing Ale.

Will report in due cause when consumption has begun.🍻

Cheers Mark.

1 hour ago, Barrelboy said:

16/9/19 after kegging a Deutsch Lager have put down a what I call a Citra Australian Pale Ale.

1/2 tin Coopers Australian Pale Ale

250g light dry malt extract

13g Citra hop, pellet infused tea for 30min. ( you may say “why 13g?” - that’s what fell out of the packet onto the scales, not far off 10g 🤫)

kit yeast (all of it)

Dry hop 20g Citra pellets in about 5 days. Leave for the 2 days of “ready to keg” mode.

Note: only 250gm of the malt as I wanted a mid range ale of about 3.8 to 4% alcohol. A nice spring/summer quaffing Ale.

Will report in due cause when consumption has begun.🍻

Cheers Mark.

Hi Mark, I might have to try that one myself - not only sounds like it will be a refreshing drop but also mid-range alcohol %.  On a side not I am just kegging the Irish Red and notice the droid drain plug has deteriorated further - to the point and a slow dripping leak. Out with the plumbing tape and I might drop Liam an email and ask about purchasing a few spares.  Cheers Terry