Brewing using Coopers cans?

Brendan Ashe

24 minutes ago, Rennce said:

Hi Mark, I might have to try that one myself - not only sounds like it will be a refreshing drop but also mid-range alcohol %.  On a side not I am just kegging the Irish Red and notice the droid drain plug has deteriorated further - to the point and a slow dripping leak. Out with the plumbing tape and I might drop Liam an email and ask about purchasing a few spares.  Cheers Terry

I have done the Citra recipe before in a conventional fermenter and it is a refreshing drop and you can enjoy a few without having to go to bed early.🥳

On the tap and the drain plug I put keg lube each time for ease of insertion and removal. It also helps to seal. Liam will certainly help you out with replacement.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F292600956220

It is food safe. (Should also be able to get from local brew shop)

Edited by Barrelboy

3 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

I have done the Citra recipe before in a conventional fermenter and it is a refreshing drop and you can enjoy a few without having to go to bed early.🥳

On the tap and the drain plug I put keg lube each time for ease of insertion and removal. It also helps to seal. Liam will certainly help you out with replacement.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F292600956220

It is food safe. (Should also be able to get from local brew shop)

Hi Mark, Thanks and I shall grab some keg lube when next at the LBS. I keep forgetting to put it on my list but it is on there now. Cheers Terry 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Rennce said:

Hi Mark, I might have to try that one myself - not only sounds like it will be a refreshing drop but also mid-range alcohol %.  On a side not I am just kegging the Irish Red and notice the droid drain plug has deteriorated further - to the point and a slow dripping leak. Out with the plumbing tape and I might drop Liam an email and ask about purchasing a few spares.  Cheers Terry

Liam will send you a new plug. The new ones are a bit shorter and stub bier but seem to work better

Fair enough, never had a brew go past 9 days and tonight will be 10, obviously, it will probably go to keg mode by time I get home and I'll just appear to be an effin Mary getting worked up over nothing. I did read on here when I was searching about some guy complaining that his canned brews taking 12 days so yeah, maybe it takes longer and if it does...better taste good.

Had an interesting discussion with Liam about upping brew bitterness without hop teas or dry hopping though 

41 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Fair enough, never had a brew go past 9 days and tonight will be 10, obviously, it will probably go to keg mode by time I get home and I'll just appear to be an effin Mary getting worked up over nothing. I did read on here when I was searching about some guy complaining that his canned brews taking 12 days so yeah, maybe it takes longer and if it does...better taste good.

Had an interesting discussion with Liam about upping brew bitterness without hop teas or dry hopping though 

What is the recipe for this one, did you use a full tin?

And you reporting about bitterness in a another thread sir?

Coopers Crown Lager, full tin, split in half between droids, malt has hops through it apparently, so I might do a hop tea in one droid and none in the other and see if I can pick the difference.

10 days, still not done.

As for bitterness in beer...and this was ust a thought as I was leaving the house. Was up in Adelaide for business meeting a couple of weeks back and went to Lady Burra bar on Currie Street. Has it's own Brewhouse but I was asking him about IBU rating and how it compared to Brewprints and how I could improve bitterness and he suggested that each type of Brewprint has it's own character so to introduce more bitterness you could dry hop or hop tea but you could just swap an E1 for an E5 to improve the bitterness by a determined amount...you probably know all of this but I was ignorant of that

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

so 12 days in and still not EOF.

One droid has been sitting between 15-18 for a couple of days, the other has sat at 12. Not that keen to use cans if it is going to be a three week project

Something not right, I’ve done 8 brews now with 1/2 tins with the longest fermentation at 9 days. If the EOF is not detected by the droid you should have a message “EOF NOT DETECTED”. 

You may have to check manually with a hydrometer. Unless there are heaps of fermentables, fermention should not take long with 1/2 a tin. What yeast did you use for each one? Did you have any “overflowl”?

As Liam has confirmed that amount of yeast would be fine and fermentation should have been fairly active. I assume you did use a lager yeast for the 12C brew, if it was an ale yeast it probably went to sleep.

Sorry Rob other than that a hydrometer test should be done. If taking a sample from the tap discard the first 1/4 cup as this will have settled malts etc and can give a false reading. I find it easier to sanitise the hydrometer, carefully lift the lid and place it in the brew for the reading. You will also be able to see if krausen has adhered to the circumference to indicate if fermentation has occurred. Also any bubbles coming to the surface etc. (don’t breathe in there, that could not be good)

Cheers

9 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

As Liam has confirmed that amount of yeast would be fine and fermentation should have been fairly active. I assume you did use a lager yeast for the 12C brew, if it was an ale yeast it probably went to sleep.

Sorry Rob other than that a hydrometer test should be done. If taking a sample from the tap discard the first 1/4 cup as this will have settled malts etc and can give a false reading. I find it easier to sanitise the hydrometer, carefully lift the lid and place it in the brew for the reading. You will also be able to see if krausen has adhered to the circumference to indicate if fermentation has occurred. Also any bubbles coming to the surface etc. (don’t breathe in there, that could not be good)

Cheers

Definitely a lager yeast. I'll give it another day or two, have the feeling one droid should be good to go tonight...:)

• Upvote 1

OK, sampled the one that has fermented and to the nose it is fine. To the mouth though, it almost has like a really really mild sort of vegemite taste to it ( and given I despise vegemite) though not unpleasant. Hard to give a real good gauge on it though as it is the first time doing a can with that style, it may mature into a flavour I'm stoked with but there is nothing in it at the moment that says "bung it". The malt I have in it has hops all through it for "extra bitterness" in it so what I am tasting may be that.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Second one done and dusted. Tasted it, pretty much the same taste, on second thoughts, doesn't appear to be any issues. Think given the time this brew has taken, I may just keg them tomorrow and not cold crash them. I was going to hop tea one but they already taste a bit hoppy already

Glad both done. As you say, keg/bottle and let them mature for a while.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

Glad both done. As you say, keg/bottle and let them mature for a while.

Yeah, they'll get about 3 months. Did have other things planned for tomorrow but kegging it is. On a side note, last bottle of Corona tonight, just put Nachos in oven so farewell Mexico.

Bet you tonights bottle will taste great

• Upvote 1