Brewing using Coopers cans?

Brendan Ashe

28 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Yeah, they'll get about 3 months. Did have other things planned for tomorrow but kegging it is. On a side note, last bottle of Corona tonight, just put Nachos in oven so farewell Mexico.

Bet you tonights bottle will taste great

Wow the Corona. It has improved so much now it is at 3 months+ secondary.

Still boring as but it has improved

• Haha 1

On 16/09/2019 at 9:20 AM, Barrelboy said:

16/9/19 after kegging a Deutsch Lager have put down a what I call a Citra Australian Pale Ale.

1/2 tin Coopers Australian Pale Ale

250g light dry malt extract

13g Citra hop, pellet infused tea for 30min. ( you may say “why 13g?” - that’s what fell out of the packet onto the scales, not far off 10g 🤫)

kit yeast (all of it)

Dry hop 20g Citra pellets in about 5 days. Leave for the 2 days of “ready to keg” mode.

Note: only 250gm of the malt as I wanted a mid range ale of about 3.8 to 4% alcohol. A nice spring/summer quaffing Ale.

Will report in due cause when consumption has begun.🍻

Cheers Mark.

Keg this today after 8 days fermentation. Have now used the other half of the Aust Pale Ale tin for a Galaxy APA.

So a famous Tommy Boy Pilsner in the droid, in one I put the same yeast I used last time (well same brand I bought, I'm not that scabby I harvested the unused yeast from the last brew) and in the other I used some other yeast I had, so we will see how long this one takes. Did this one better than last time though, just more efficient, far less swearing and an even spread between the two droids where last time was a bit more by eye.

Anyways, noticed the smell from the can was the same sort of vegemite smell I was tasting in the brew I have just completed, so yeah, interesting to see how this goes. As an after thought, I did think "should have made it 11 litres and not 10", wow, what a cupid stunt I can be sometimes

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 25/09/2019 at 9:27 PM, Rob Courtney said:

So a famous Tommy Boy Pilsner in the droid, in one I put the same yeast I used last time (well same brand I bought, I'm not that scabby I harvested the unused yeast from the last brew) and in the other I used some other yeast I had, so we will see how long this one takes. Did this one better than last time though, just more efficient, far less swearing and an even spread between the two droids where last time was a bit more by eye.

Anyways, noticed the smell from the can was the same sort of vegemite smell I was tasting in the brew I have just completed, so yeah, interesting to see how this goes. As an after thought, I did think "should have made it 11 litres and not 10", wow, what a cupid stunt I can be sometimes

May even tick over tonight on 8 days. One droid sitting at 18 degrees after a couple days ramping up the temp. The other one is sitting at 12 but I did notice it has stated it needs an update that I must have missed

And done after 9 days, ready to keg. This will be my first hop tea brew, the brew shop guy gave me the great advice of brew it, smell it after 10, see if you think the hops is strong enough, otherwise let it sit for ten again. Think I may just brew it for 10 and chuck it in, might leave the second for 15 and see how that goes. On the positive, my brewart order arrived today, so 16 new brews :) plus I still have a can of Mangrove Jacks lager to make sometime

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/09/2019 at 9:20 AM, Barrelboy said:

16/9/19 after kegging a Deutsch Lager have put down a what I call a Citra Australian Pale Ale.

1/2 tin Coopers Australian Pale Ale

250g light dry malt extract

13g Citra hop, pellet infused tea for 30min. ( you may say “why 13g?” - that’s what fell out of the packet onto the scales, not far off 10g 🤫)

kit yeast (all of it)

Dry hop 20g Citra pellets in about 5 days. Leave for the 2 days of “ready to keg” mode.

Note: only 250gm of the malt as I wanted a mid range ale of about 3.8 to 4% alcohol. A nice spring/summer quaffing Ale.

Will report in due cause when consumption has begun.🍻

Cheers Mark.

Now this has turned out to be a refreshing, easy drinking pale ale with a noted dominated citrus taste to it, both in the drinking and in the after taste. I do enjoy this, a bit young in maturing but hell, who cares.

image.thumb.jpg.6dff8b728163153b5665729e0370b494.jpg

Edited by Barrelboy

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

Not sure on a Crown Lager, didn’t go for it much in the bottle.

Yeah just still that sort of "vegemite" flavour to it. Has obviously mellowed but it isn't what I search for in a beer.

I  saying that, am trying a Tommy boy Pilsner, it's less offensive but yeah, prefer the Brewprints. I mean at a pinch, the Tommy Boy with the hop teas is something you'd be OK brewing again if you still had stock of it, the Crown...I'd only brew it again to see if I had done something wrong the first time

• Upvote 1