Brewing using Coopers cans?

Brendan Ashe

On 18/12/2019 at 10:59 PM, Rob Courtney said:

Just thinking, maybe ales and stouts are better from cans than lagers. I mean, they aren't disgusting but when you line them up against the brewprints they don't shine. Getting through the last bottles of these two and I actually mean getting through, I still have one can left but I believe that will be it

OMG, I am drinkngi  the  last of the bottles...and I will be honest, they are crap. Maybe I did them wrong, maybe they are shite....anyways, I would not recommend cans for lagers

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

OMG, I am drinkngi  the  last of the bottles...and I will be honest, they are crap. Maybe I did them wrong, maybe they are shite....anyways, I would not recommend cans for lagers

Sounds like a sales pitch for cans to me lol 

7 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Fair call, I feel shite that I bought 3  cans and then used them. They are appalling and a waste of money. A mate of mine brews cans and he is a it on the fence...I can see why

Is this your Crown Lager? The recipe? Can lager with just the basics doesn’t  turn me on either however it does make a good base for a Session type ale using a galaxy & Amarillo hop tea followed by the same in a dry hop.

4 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

Is this your Crown Lager? The recipe? Can lager with just the basics doesn’t  turn me on either however it does make a good base for a Session type ale using a galaxy & Amarillo hop tea followed by the same in a dry hop.

Crown and Tommy Boy Pilsner. The Pilsner has gotten worse, the Crown has improved but nothing to make me think I would bother again. Given the results I get from Brewart ingredients, I'd rather spend a few extra bucks and get the flavour I appreciate

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Crown and Tommy Boy Pilsner. The Pilsner has gotten worse, the Crown has improved but nothing to make me think I would bother again. Given the results I get from Brewart ingredients, I'd rather spend a few extra bucks and get the flavour I appreciate

Totally agree, Brewprint ingredients still good value that’s why when my can stocks are used I’ll only probably get the Coopers Australian Pale Ale for some specials I like to do with it.

• Upvote 1

English Bitter in my 5l portable set up. Intertap with flow control adjuster, mini reg that uses a bulb or have the soda stream bottle and mini reg adaptor. The disconnect for the gauge is non return so if something goes a miss beer can’t flow up wreck the regulator. Poly bag and a few ice packs keep this cold for entire contents if drunk within 6 to 7 hours (ha, a breeze)02D37407-5A93-4F2F-AA11-7E3EAA321E6E.thumb.jpeg.9dd16d69e56a050d0c5fbaa6f859b58e.jpeg

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

English Bitter in my 5l portable set up. Intertap with flow control adjuster, mini reg that uses a bulb or have the soda stream bottle and mini reg adaptor. The disconnect for the gauge is non return so if something goes a miss beer can’t flow up wreck the regulator. Poly bag and a few ice packs keep this cold for entire contents if drunk within 6 to 7 hours (ha, a breeze)02D37407-5A93-4F2F-AA11-7E3EAA321E6E.thumb.jpeg.9dd16d69e56a050d0c5fbaa6f859b58e.jpeg

Ikegger ? How do you find it goes with the sodastream bottles, i can get those easily up here instead of the little creamer cartridges. Also do you do all your conditioning in the keg or do you transfer for when you want to use it ? Coz I could do all the conditioning in a brewart keg and transfer when I want to carbonate and or head out 🙂 . Or do you think could secondary ferment ... and recarbonate lol ? 

4 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Ikegger ? How do you find it goes with the sodastream bottles, i can get those easily up here instead of the little creamer cartridges. Also do you do all your conditioning in the keg or do you transfer for when you want to use it ? Coz I could do all the conditioning in a brewart keg and transfer when I want to carbonate and or head out 🙂 . Or do you think could secondary ferment ... and recarbonate lol ? 

The soda stream set up is the best and cheapest method. I’m using the 16g bulb as I’ve got a few left and use them for dispensing. ( not carbonating, too expensive for that). I do all the conditioning in the keg, that is droid to keg, purge with co2 and let sit until required. I then put in the fridge to chill, carbonate with Co2. 
Now you could add the primer to the 5 litre keg as you would the Brewart kegs then at any time after 2 weeks, put in the fridge, chill, add co2 set up at dispensing pressure (8 -10psi) to finalise any shortage in co2 carbonation (24hrs is good). Then away you go.

OK, so that is all bottled now and now the experiment begins, can I get one decent brew out of 60 litres of canned beers? Have to say this one was far more promising than the two others, though in saying that, had the last bottle of Crown on Saturday night and it was a little better, still seemed like it needed to lose a bit of its edge but had turned the corner 

Going to try one of the kegs midweek to see if that has gotten near the mark, fingers crossed

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Paul84 said:

Well i do hope it works mate , this one does sound more promising , i was intrigued in trying a few Mr Beer kits , but we will see how your experiement goes and I might try my luck haha 

Mr Beer is a good way to go as you don’t have to halve the tin and with some of the recipes fairly high in the alcohol %, doing 10l instead of 8.5l is no big deal however just add 250g of a dry malt or either X1, 2 or 3 and all’s good.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

Agree, once my Coopers can stock is done 99% will be via Brewprints.

Just had a look at the Mr Beer products and did some calculations.

1) if you just use the tin for 10l it will be about 4.6%, add say 250g ldme or say one X1, will be about 5.5%.

2) if your a Coopers member only $15.26 a tin so well priced for droid

3) order any 4 tins, delivery free! (Please Brewprints?ha)

4) good varieties- I’m interested in the Golden Ale, Northwest Pale Ale, Long Play IPA and the Diablo IPA. 

5) Could brew as is (as they have good profiles or do some hop additions)

Worth some real thought

Ha, have had the  Crown lager in the Brewflo and it pours foam. Had a feeling this may happen because the pour from the bottles were a strong, lasting head but an awful taste, going to let this settle have a taste and cut my losses. No point pouring a beer and letting it settle for five, re pour, let it settle for 5, re pour, let it settle and then drink.

Now, for those who keg and use a Brewflo, if you are to empty a keg, do not unscrew the collar, or undo the orange or black lug, just fix a beer line into the orange lug and let it pour out in a timely manner, with no extra cleaning

• Upvote 1