Coopers XPA

33 minutes ago, Senator said:

I think I'm just about ready to Keg? How long should I wait for the 2nd Fermentation?

Might have to buy some more cans while I'm waiting also?

Brew Print XPA.jpg

Yes you must be almost there as the temperature drop to 4 degrees is the programmed 48 hour “cold crash” after which the brew will warm up to 18 degrees in preparation for kegging.

I’ve brewed the XPA a couple of times now and have found that it reaches its peak at 8 weeks secondary fermentation/conditioning.

If you can’t be that patient perhaps crack one keg at 6 weeks, buy a few cans to tide you over in between and then try the second keg at 8 and note which you prefer.

Or as @Captain 3 Droids  would say - buy a second (or third!) Droid and just brew it more often. 😁

• Like 2

You guys are bad influences.  

I drove 3 hours to pickup a used one.  

one wouldn’t do.   

got home 6 hours later and the buggwr won’t connect to the app.    

Liam tried his best but gotta ship it in now.  

Only thing worse than waiting months for the new one is to buy a used one and then have to ship it off for weeks to get fixed.   

Captain, you’ve got more influence than you’ll ever know 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, J P said:

You guys are bad influences.  

I drove 3 hours to pickup a used one.  

one wouldn’t do.   

got home 6 hours later and the buggwr won’t connect to the app.    

Liam tried his best but gotta ship it in now.  

Only thing worse than waiting months for the new one is to buy a used one and then have to ship it off for weeks to get fixed.   

Captain, you’ve got more influence than you’ll ever know 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Great work mate. 

The Captain’s been working on me too, and I would desperately love another Droid but just don’t have the room.

The wife is pushing hard for a new house at the moment too so one of my requirements is a big shed or a cellar 😻 so I can play multi-Droids with you all and up my output.

🤞

• Upvote 1

Should get to bottle this tonight, so interested to see what it is like when I take a taste. Brewshop guy wanted me to try Lemondrop hops instead of citra but I went traditional. In saying that though, Lemon drop hops look like something I may start putting into my lagers for a different flavour.

• Upvote 1

Now in some respects, when you can the real test is homebrew vs commercial.

BrewArt Coopers XPA at 5 weeks vs a tin of Coopers XPA.

0DAD3CDB-39A2-4AEB-9026-8A2758208684.thumb.jpeg.35b77b076fcb8d3c1c0b590281973455.jpeg

Now the pour, note the difference in colour, the head size is due to homebrew poured first.

45DF068A-7AFE-4C3F-907E-AB07E0DB7811.thumb.jpeg.78926b281be4dcdfe20b3075e04910f9.jpeg

Now the taste, they are so similar, however the homebrew just has that extra hop/flavour kick. Not much more but enough to say “a pint of homebrew XPA please.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 14/03/2021 at 1:34 PM, Dustin Frothman said:

I can't get enough of this beer. It's still probably my #1, so I put it on again yesterday.

I've found it's best at 8 weeks so will be waiting a while.

So, I poured a stubbie of this at 4 weeks, interesting to hear that 8 is the sweet spot as it is very good at 4

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Yeah, only had this once, a can of ( poured into a glass) at a local cafe and I thought it was quite nice. This one though, stronger hops flavour but flavours I like...so all good

You really need to try it on draught from somewhere that cares about their beer. It’s a fantastic. 🥰

Edited by Dustin Frothman
  • Upvote 1