Coopers XPA

Thanks Mark,sorry i didn't find your reply till just now, i will definitely investigate dry hops, i bought an extra sachet hoping that was what gave it that flavour,making 3 sachets, but then i realised i had no idea if that was the right thing to do hence the questions will check back later for some tips on dry hops, thanks Joe.

52 minutes ago, joe reilly said:

Thanks Mark,sorry i didn't find your reply till just now, i will definitely investigate dry hops, i bought an extra sachet hoping that was what gave it that flavour,making 3 sachets, but then i realised i had no idea if that was the right thing to do hence the questions will check back later for some tips on dry hops, thanks Joe.

No problems Joe, dry hopping is fairly easy so when your ready. 3 liquid sachets should give it a nice hit, won’t be overpowering and will suit this ale.

Cheers Mark

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

I think you’ll love this one Dustin, the hops are a must.

Thanks mate, yes the first brew was for the wife and this one is definitely for me even though she quite likes the XPA too.

What did you dry hop with, on which day and for how long?

As an aside, I must say that both the quality of the BrewArt ingredients and the tech in the droid must be exceptional because by the time I got organised last night I had only put this one on at about 11 pm. Fermentation had begun bang on schedule within 12 hours. In my previous experience brewing you just don't get that kind of consistency with the old "plastic fermenter in the cupboard" method.

I'm absolutely loving this process so far and have a few mates with similar brewing histories to me who are watching my progress quite keenly.

Edited by Dustin Frothman
I hate typos
  • Thanks 1

Dry hopped with 20g Centennial, 24 hours before fermentation ended, longer won’t hurt. Which was day 6.

Your certainly correct about the unit and ingredients. Accurate temperature control makes a big difference, so glad plastic fermenters and frozen bottles of water in summer and blankets in winter are gone.☀️🌨

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

Dry hopped with 20g Centennial, 24 hours before fermentation ended, longer won’t hurt. Which was day 6.

Thanks mate. Just checked the fridge and I had already bought some Centennial so am ready to go.

Perhaps we discussed this in the other thread and I've just lost track. Once I get these first 7 or 8 brews done and my notes/"system" in order I suspect my memory will improve! Or I just need another beer.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

Your certainly correct about the unit and ingredients. Accurate temperature control makes a big difference, so glad plastic fermenters and frozen bottles of water in summer and blankets in winter are gone.☀️🌨

It was those sort of stuff that stopped me ever making my own beer. Then maybe ten years ago I saw an advert for William Warn ( I think) home brew machine, which is a more expensive Brewart and I thought "how good is that" and then when Brewart came out I was going to and I was going to...and then I bought it.

And now I drink bought beers like a wine connoisseur and criticise their efforts..."haven't balanced the Hallertau in this brew". 

23 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

It was those sort of stuff that stopped me ever making my own beer. Then maybe ten years ago I saw an advert for William Warn ( I think) home brew machine, which is a more expensive Brewart and I thought "how good is that" and then when Brewart came out I was going to and I was going to...and then I bought it.

And now I drink bought beers like a wine connoisseur and criticise their efforts..."haven't balanced the Hallertau in this brew". 

Yes do the same now however I’m not down the wine nobs “the grapes were grown on the left hand side of the second hill starting 3 rows down....” with the hops (yet🙂)

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

Yes do the same now however I’m not down the wine nobs “the grapes were grown on the left hand side of the second hill starting 3 rows down....” with the hops (yet🙂)

It's that condescending stage you get to when you are about to say "I know where you were going with this...and you started off in the right direction..." and the guy at the craft brew shop door sales just looks at you

• Upvote 1

The first taste after 2 weeks in bottles was very good. Maybe i was just a bit excited!

The bottles around 3 weeks weren't as good but then the 4 weeks got better again.

Seemed a bit weird but i've held off now and letting all my bottles condition longer.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Bert said:

The first taste after 2 weeks in bottles was very good. Maybe i was just a bit excited!

The bottles around 3 weeks weren't as good but then the 4 weeks got better again.

Seemed a bit weird but i've held off now and letting all my bottles condition longer.

Ahh the joy of making your own beer.

It really is a game of recording your thoughts and sampling. I made a four leaf beer, thought it was nice at 4 weeks, thought it was a bit crap at 6-7 weeks and then had a bottle at 10 weeks and thought "nectar"

Then of course, when you think you have the timing right and the recipe spot on you think "wonder what it would be like with this hops" and the whole merry go round starts again  

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Bert said:

Can’t believe you’re at a pub, I’m still in lockdown in Melbourne.

I’ll have to put another XPA on cos i drank the first one in 3 weeks!!

Pubs, restaurants, don't have to wear masks

It's what happens when people follow rules.

Seiously though it is a shambles, I have little doubt the second wave will happen everywhere because you only need a few idiots to ruin it for everyone, as George Carlin once said...

Pin by Ideen Solhtalab on LOL | Stupid people, Funny quotes, Carlin

It is really scary when it is put like that

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Dustin Frothman said:

I’m sitting at the Metropolitan Hotel in Adelaide drinking my first Coopers XPA in almost 5 months. Brilliant.

The best bit is realising my Coopers XPA brewed at home tastes as good if not better than this. 

4 weeks to go and it should be ready to pour. 😁 

Is this the start of your pub crawl? Wheatsheaf next? Good to be in good old Adelaide again?

On 01/08/2020 at 6:30 AM, Barrelboy said:

Is this the start of your pub crawl? Wheatsheaf next? Good to be in good old Adelaide again?

It’s fantastic to be home and news on the work front suggests a permanent return is on the horizon which is pretty exciting.

We made it to the Grace on Friday and Big Shed on Sunday afternoon. We better pop in to the Wheaty tonight for a quick beer before the rules change again tomorrow.

Also excited to see that Coopers are releasing a Hazy IPA on the 17th of this month. Hopefully a BrewPrint will follow shortly.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Can't wait for the Hazy IPA. I'm sure brewart will help with the ingrediant list if they don't do a brewprint.

I just finished brewing their one off release called Masters of the Brewniverse Fruit of the Woods IPA. Got 4- 6 weeks until i try it.

• Upvote 2

So we ended up at The Exeter (Rundle St) the other night as both The Wheaty and The Grace were closed to rejig things in line with the modified restrictions now in force in SA.

But what can I say? The XPA served on tap there was the best I’ve ever had. Wow. 

I hope the new Hazy IPA is just as impressive and also becomes a permanent fixture in the Coopers lineup because they have really knocked one out of the park with the XPA.

Brewprint please @BrewArt Team 🤞

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...