Coopers XPA

Down to the last SA Pint (schooner for the rest of you) of the first keg of this brew. Have absolutely loved it. It will be interesting to see how it differs when hopped without a hop ball using the new filter.

Glad I have both another keg in storage and the ingredients for another brew on order.

Now I just need to behave myself and resist the temptation to connect the next keg before the wife makes a visit this weekend as she is keen to try it.

• Upvote 1

Hey boys great to hear the XPA is tasting very good.

I've just finished off my Fruit of the Woods IPA which Coopers did as their Masters of the Brewniverse. Got to say i could just keep brewing this non stop. So damn good. 

Now i have an equivalent to Colonials Pale Ale in the droid which i can't wait for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bert said:

Hey boys great to hear the XPA is tasting very good.

I've just finished off my Fruit of the Woods IPA which Coopers did as their Masters of the Brewniverse. Got to say i could just keep brewing this non stop. So damn good. 

Now i have an equivalent to Colonials Pale Ale in the droid which i can't wait for.

I've just had a look at the recipe for the Fruit of the Woods IPA.

I'll just have to try this.

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Robert Pretty said:

Dustin and Mark, got the dry hop version of the XPA in the droid now. Thinking of taking your advice and putting in 25g of Centennial as well as the 50g of supplied Simcoe and Citra. Or should I throw in 50g of Centennial hop this out?

Now that the recipe has been updated I would just do it as per the Brewart spec to begin with and see how you like it.  It's a standard Coopers beer so they are the experts with regards to how it should taste.

The Centennial dry hop was really just a hack as per the spreadsheet published here.

I'll be brewing my next XPA as per the spec and noting the differences.

Edited by Dustin Frothman
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Dustin. Never rated this in the can. Only brewed this from the good reviews here. This is one healthy brew as it overflowed from the vent during the night . Might still throw in 25g of Centennial, 7.5g / 1 liter should fit the XPA profile nicely. The general rule I work with is the 5-10-15 rule. 5g / 1liter = Pale Ale, 10g / 1 liter = IPA and 15g liter / 1lire = Double IPA. XPA should fall somewhere between Pale and IPA .

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Robert Pretty said:

Thanks Dustin. Never rated this in the can. Only brewed this from the good reviews here. This is one healthy brew as it overflowed from the vent during the night . Might still throw in 25g of Centennial, 7.5g / 1 liter should fit the XPA profile nicely. The general rule I work with is the 5-10-15 rule. 5g / 1liter = Pale Ale, 10g / 1 liter = IPA and 15g liter / 1lire = Double IPA. XPA should fall somewhere between Pale and IPA .

I'm not a fan of it in the can either but on draught it's a fantastic beer.

I posted a link in the Dry Hopping thread to an article discussing the 5-10-15 rule. Have a read as it's quite interesting.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Dustin, interesting article. I think time in plays a role as well. Longer isn't more with pellets. I think anything. I wouldn't hop over 10g per liter. Brewart uses around 5g per liter for pales and 5 to 7.5g for IPAs. Really only in for two day before cold crushing.  After the XPA I'm doing a Bentspoke Crankshaft clone with the 25g of the four hops used by Bentspoke.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Robert Pretty said:

Thanks Dustin, interesting article. I think time in plays a role as well. Longer isn't more with pellets. I think anything. I wouldn't hop over 10g per liter. Brewart uses around 5g per liter for pales and 5 to 7.5g for IPAs. Really only in for two day before cold crushing.  After the XPA I'm doing a Bentspoke Crankshaft clone with the 25g of the four hops used by Bentspoke.

Sounds great although I'd go for a Sprocket clone as I think that's their better IPA. 👍

On 11/09/2020 at 9:39 PM, Dustin Frothman said:

I've just had a look at the recipe for the Fruit of the Woods IPA.

I'll just have to try this.

Hi Dustin, hope you do try the Fruit of the Woods and see what you think.

Did you get the recipe from this site? 

16 minutes ago, Robert Pretty said:

Dustin the Sprocket is the second best beer behind the cluster 8, from Bentspoke  Sprocket is my favourite. I will do the Crankshaft first then have a crack at a Sprocket. IPAs all the way 

True, but the Cluster 8 will do more damage! 😆

Keen to hear how you get on with that one too.

2 hours ago, Robert Pretty said:

This is the dry hop version. Overflowed the droid early on. With some vigorous fermentation. 

Been 8 days no notification to dry hop, should I dry hop now for 2 days , then cold crush for two days and then keg an bottle. That's the usual process.

Or should I leave a few more days.

Hi Robert, the Beerprint gives it’s up to 10 days, I’d just back and let it happen.

• 3 weeks later...

Started this one again on Friday. Will dry hop as per the updated recipe.

Big venting episode this morning. It must have occurred last night (ambient nightly temperature is warming up in Brisbane now). I wasn't ready for this at all so it made one hell of a mess.

Just goes to show that you really can't pick which brews will do this and which won't.

• Upvote 1

Just going on to 6 weeks kegged. Dry hopped with 15g centennial and 15g simcoe. The centennial from the pre dry hop mode recipe and simcoe from the new dry hop recipe leaving the Citra out.

So not much citrus to taste, still throughly enjoyable with strong bitter finish, earthy. Not unhappy but wouldn’t leave the Citra out next time- all 3 I say.

Actually as a rethink, 15g each centennial and simcoe with 25g Citra mmmm

Edited by Captain 3 Droids