Purchased Beers

14 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

46D0F977-E9E5-48AD-85C9-BA807F0A8AAC.thumb.jpeg.cff3ebec57f8c714c27e262554e05a41.jpeg

Enjoyed a few beers out with dinner earlier this week including a surprisingly good Young Henry’s IPA on draught at The Golden Wattle beforehand.

This  one from Bridge Rd was a @Wazza_wantsbeerspecial. I didn’t take notice that the cans were 440ml and had two. They were great but I rolled out afterwards …

Nice looking beer, could use a couple of those right now  😉

Noticing that Cryo hops are coming back into fashion again after being all the rage with brewers a few years ago.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

Nice looking beer, could use a couple of those right now  😉

Noticing that Cryo hops are coming back into fashion again after being all the rage with brewers a few years ago.

I couldn’t really taste the difference but I understand it to be a yield thing.

The bloody hot modern Thai food was probably not helping. 🤯

• Haha 3

• 2 months later...

So trying to make the most of getting some different beers up here so with Ballistic Beers, have had The Hawaiian Hazy...pretty nice, the Reef lager...OK, I guess, not much hop action in it and the Czech Pilsner...which is pretty bloody good, I'd be happy brewing that, reef lager not so much.

Also trying Black Hops Pale Ale which has a hops profile of Simcoe, Dr Rudi, Citra, Ella, El Dorado which is OK. I mean I wouldn't buy it again but if someone said "I've brought some cans of Black Hops P{ale Ale, anyone want one?" I wouldn't be saying no

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

So trying to make the most of getting some different beers up here so with Ballistic Beers, have had The Hawaiian Hazy...pretty nice, the Reef lager...OK, I guess, not much hop action in it and the Czech Pilsner...which is pretty bloody good, I'd be happy brewing that, reef lager not so much.

Also trying Black Hops Pale Ale which has a hops profile of Simcoe, Dr Rudi, Citra, Ella, El Dorado which is OK. I mean I wouldn't buy it again but if someone said "I've brought some cans of Black Hops P{ale Ale, anyone want one?" I wouldn't be saying no

Probably one of the best things about a holiday away is the opportunity to try a few new local beers. 

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Probably one of the best things about a holiday away is the opportunity to try a few new local beers. 

It's a good and bad experience. I had the Pale ale from Squires 150 lashes on tap, that was really, really poor, then they had a "hotel lager" which was like a homage to Carlton Cold but missed the mark when it came to flavour

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

It's a good and bad experience. I had the Pale ale from Squires 150 lashes on tap, that was really, really poor, then they had a "hotel lager" which was like a homage to Carlton Cold but missed the mark when it came to flavour

I’m not quite sure what you expected from either of those to begin with. 💩 🤢

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...

Went to Adelaide on the weekend to visit family and bought some "Lorry Boys" pacific ale...at the damn good price of a tenner for a four pack. 

It was OK, although when you put it back in context of being a tenner for 4, it was fantastic. A standard beer, galaxy hops, nothing offensive, probably could have had more hops (and bear in mind, this is me saying that) but all in all, was happy with the choice as 1) I am a cheaparse at heart and 2) as I really didn't intend to drink that night, only having a 4 pack made my intention almost kept.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Had a San Miguel Pale Pilsner tonight with a yellow curry out tonight. Actually wasn't too bad, not saying I am rushing out to buy a carton of it good but will order that from now on at that Restaurant than the crap Crownie I had first. Used to like a Crownie every now and then, would buy a carton when it was cheap back in the day but (the Brewshop guy did say they changed the recipe) it is like they got the brewer for Iron Jack and said "ramp up this brew".

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Was helping my next door neighbour cut back his hedge and he came out with a couple of Prancing Pony beers. Had the Indian Pale Red Ale which was nice, if not a bit deadly at 8%

That’s a good neighbour. I trust “cut back his hedge” is not a euphemism.

Do love PP beers, and the head brewer and owner would be up there for Sourh Australian of the century. What a character.

Prancing Pony

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dustin Frothman said:

That’s a good neighbour. I trust “cut back his hedge” is not a euphemism.

Do love PP beers, and the head brewer and owner would be up there for Sourh Australian of the century. What a character.

Prancing Pony

Given he is 60, probably would have used the same hedge trimmer if it was :). I was actually really surprised when he came out with those cans, think it was an Xmas present and he didn't know who PP was so trying to get rid of it...bonus.

Thought it was a nice beer, packed a very hoppy punch first sip though.

Edited by Rob Courtney
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

OK, so I have spent a week down in Tassie, it has an amazing Craft beer scene which I would have been happy spending all week doing but apparently, I am in a family of wowsers and excuse makers.

Absolute crap like "you can't start drinking at 8am and just keep going" how wrong they are..

and "But Dad, I'm only 8, they won't serve me"

So, we had to do other things as well...FML

Anyways, most of the pubs do their own beers, which is great, where I am from there is a bunch of Hahn Super Dry and Carlton Drys on tap which is a dead set disgrace.

So first night, bit warm, reverted to type and grabbed the Pilsner...and don't worry, I didn't just sit on the Pilsner/Lagers all week

The-Albert-Brewery-Pilsner-220115-113055.png

So Albert Pilsner, to be honest, around the mark of our pilsners with a Saaz hops. Nice straw colour and I did have the last couple after a day walking around Hobart in 30+ degree heat and they did go down very well. As I said though, reckon Brewart pilsners have this one covered, which is pleasing as it is quite a nice brew and before Brewart I'd have been checking shipping costs.

I went back to the local bottlo and asked him to recommend some more Tassie beer and I'll review those three tomorrow.

Edited by Rob Courtney
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

So first beer off the rank was a Citra IPA. Recommended as a limited edition beer and it was the last one they had ( and someone was in earlier and they were probably going to come back and buy it so I better be quick...)

I made a mistake with this though, I poured it at fridge temperature, which i believe was 2 degrees, which as I learned by accident was the wrong thing to do. At 8% this needed to come up to about 7 or 8 degrees to get full value.

At the lower temp there was a strong hint of honey but not much hops flavour. I was really disappointed but came back to the room and remembered that I had half a can left. It was pretty good, nice hit of hops, punched below the belt but for 12 bucks I felt it didn't quite deliver for me

IMG_1253.jpg

IMG_1251.jpg

• Upvote 1

Second on the go was the Fog on the Tamar, the Tamar river being a famous wilderness zone where stuff goes on that would make the hillbillies from Deliverance turn their heads in disgust.

Poured nice and hazy for a pale ale there was a bit of citra and maybe Galaxy or Ella but there was more to it, would have no trouble having another one of those, pity being that with so much choice, coming back to the same brew would be a hard thing to do

IMG_1249.jpg

IMG_1250.jpg

• Upvote 1

The last recommendation was for the IPA made at the brewery which the bottlo was part of.

A Winston IPA, I think this was 6.5% but you'd drink these until you passed out or threw up...or both if you're feeling a little Hendrix.

I poured this in the glass had one smell and it smelt like tropical fruit juice, the hops were very strong in this one. When I checked in after, one of the guys in the pub had said "we've been trying to get him to can this for years"...and i can see why.

Definitely Citra...reckon Amarillo but it was a bit like a candied Grapefruit and you had to stop yourself having big gulps of it. I even had a pint (Imperial) on the second to last day and can confirm it is a dead set ripper but way, way to easy to neck at 6.5%.

IMG_1247.jpg

IMG_1248.jpg

• Upvote 3

On 29/12/2022 at 9:51 PM, J P said:

If you can find Rock Juice I highly HIGHLY recommend it (RockyRidge)

Hey JP , sorry been away on holidays and havent been online much . Got myself 8 cans of the Rock Juice this year 🤣🤣🤣. So many good beers coming out these days and i am going to take a vow of Purchasing celebacy lol. Focusing on brewing this year 😁

16744745874098362388386345889518.jpg

• Upvote 2