Reside from sanitiser

Pursya

Hi all,

When  i sanitised the Droid there was a fair bit of residue that was left on the bottom after draining.

When I took the sample yesterday I believe this residue was present in the glass and settled to the bottom after a while.

Now I don't believe it affected the taste test, but as you cannot wipe out the residue before brewing for fear of contamination,  I wonder if there is a procedure that could be performed while the Droid is draining to help move it out.

any ideas?

I have had the same thing and just rinsed it out by pouring a little bit more water into the droid so the residue would wash out.

I don't think there is anything bad with having a little sanitiser residue in there but I didn't like the look of it so thought it would be good to get it out of there.

Never used the tablets, though maybe agitating with an appropriately sterilised spoon whilst draining (like the ones used in the traditional home brew kits). 

I am lucky enough to have a hose I can use to direct water flow and squirt at a reasonable pressure to remove all of my sanitiser residues.  

• Upvote 1

On 28/01/2017 at 2:42 PM, Chris Dekens said:

I wish I had one of those hoses on my sink like the guy in the BrewArt 101 videos, it wound make filling, cleaning and rinsing the BeerDroid so much easier instead of having to use a jug to pour the water into it.

I'm a hardware manager at an independent trade store, so I did have a look at my major supplier this arvo to see if they had a tap/hose combo.

They didn't. Bugger.

• Upvote 1

I use a similar clear plastic tube to the one used for kegging, just pushed onto the filtered water supply on my sink.

I picked it up from Bunnings ages ago. They sell it by the metre and even had different diameters, so I am sure there may be a good chance of finding one to suit a regular sink tap. A simple friction fit is good enough to avoid leaks and direct the water where you want it. When you are done, just twist it off.

I only bother to sanitise it once every 4 or 5 brews cos it only ever moves water and I have never had a brew fail.

• Upvote 2

On 30/01/2017 at 1:02 PM, Derren Green said:

Guys, you can use a mixer tap extension gadget to connect a small bit of regular hose to your indoor mixer tap.

Google - Hozelock mixer tap connector.

Derren,

Do you know if it would be possible to connect something other than a garden hose to this? I have always found that the garden hoses leave a plastic taste in the water.

When I sanitised my beer droid this time around I used Star san. its a foaming acid based sanitiser, very common in the brewing industry and available from home brew shops. It only needs to have contact with the surface of your brewing equipment for 2 minutes to work. this was far quicker than using the tablets and cheaper.

• Upvote 2

On 28/01/2017 at 2:42 PM, Deeks said:

I wish I had one of those hoses on my sink like the guy in the BrewArt 101 videos, it wound make filling, cleaning and rinsing the BeerDroid so much easier instead of having to use a jug to pour the water into it.

I sanitised my "Baby Bath Hose" which attaches to any sink outlet. Took the shower head part off it and it works brilliantly to hose the residue out, same as on the video.

Go to a Baby shop and get a "Baby Bath Hose" which attaches to any sink head and take off the shower head part and use it to rinse out the Beer Droid like the bloke does on the video with the fancy sink. Cost a couple of dollars and you can sanitise it by running some solution through it before you start rinsing the Beer Droid. 

• 2 years later...