Community Suggestions

BrewArt Team

On my third brew so still a rookie but my background is Microbiology by study but never worked as such, instead I've had various careers before landing in IT in the mid-90's and specifically in App Dev for the past decade. I've had some time to think about some things and I have some thoughts on the Droid and App. But first some background to give context for these thoughts:

I started the brew at 1627 on Sunday which starts "Propagation Zone". 12 hours later at 0427 on Monday morning it "Entered Fermentation Zone". At 1749 on Monday "Fermentation was detected". At approximately 1830 on Monday, the Droid was found to have spewed quite a lot of material, fluid and foam. I suspect it started spewing at least 30 minutes prior, if not an hour or more.

To my mind, this was very surprising as it was barely 24 hours since starting the brew and the app had only just told me that we had entered the fermentation zone.

Now, those thoughts:

The Propagation time is very arbitrary at 12 hours from starting the Brew. To me this is clearly not accurate as different yeasts would propagate at different times. From my experience, the Y2 yeast propagates faster than the Y1 I have previously used for the Point and N-C IPAs.

From memory of my studies, I certainly understand that there are quite a number of other factors that will impact propagation other than yeast type including age, storage and other environmental factors will all impact yeast viability and propagation.

Clearly for my DDH Hazy IPA, propagation was pretty short and very active and fermentation started way before the app told me so as less than 1 hour later, there was a lot of material spewed out of the droid.

Personally, I think there should be some variation in these "arbitrary" times for propagation and fermentation zone.

I would think that BrewArt/Coopers would have some good stats on the propagation for the various yeast strains in the Brewart Ingredients. Some customisation in the app to be able to select (or automatically accommodate when using BrewPrints) which type of yeast is being used. This could be done on averages or mean propagation times for a particular yeast.

I also think that in the early stages of the brew, say the first 2-3 days, the Droid should be testing for Fermentation more frequently. After that, a daily check makes more sense.

In terms of the App, I have accidentally placed a BrewPrint on the Shelf but there appears to be no way to remove it.

For previous brews, it would be great if the Notifications could be stored in the Brew Journal for later retrieval like the notes are so that I can get the full context of a brew. Also a timestamp as to when the notes are made would be excellent for future reference.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Hi team,

Just had one of my beers pop up on my phone as finished conditioning and it gave me an idea!

From a UI perspective, I think it would be cool to select whether you kegged/bottled your beer and if you bottled how many you did, just so you can keep track of your stockpile etc.

let me know what you think, or if this already a thing

• Like 1

After watching this I think there's a huge opportunity for Brewart to leverage off the existing product ecosystem and add some advanced functionality to match Kegland's RAPT system.

Surely there's an emerging market of small batch brewers who would like some of these features (most of which we already have) without having to purchase a fermenter, transmitter and fridge separately and then work through the tech dance of connecting them all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dustin Frothman said:

After watching this I think there's a huge opportunity for Brewart to leverage off the existing product ecosystem and add some advanced functionality to match Kegland's RAPT system.

Surely there's an emerging market of small batch brewers who would like some of these features (most of which we already have) without having to purchase a fermenter, transmitter and fridge separately and then work through the tech dance of connecting them all.

This facility would be excellent. I have a couple of Tilt hydrometers and it would be awesome to get the data from that.

Cheers

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

@BrewArt Team

Its Xmas week and a lot of panic for some.

I just want to express my great appreciation to the BrewArt Team and wish all a very merry Christmas and top new year- Abby, Liam, Tech people, the silent ones in the background and those  great packaging personnel up there in QLD

DD85C4B3-45AE-412C-99C9-C104D5381A49.thumb.jpeg.989a14eb3f4cdc3e92ca2bb02d3dac62.jpegA0502F8A-E422-454F-BBAC-81D697F3A77A.jpeg.d7113e61636ac91af4017b529ba89764.jpegA0502F8A-E422-454F-BBAC-81D697F3A77A.jpeg.d7113e61636ac91af4017b529ba89764.jpeg

Well said and I concur. Merry Christmas to all at the @BrewArt Team.

Cheers to automatic beers.

• Like 2

Hi @BrewArt Team

Have bought the hops filter on my last order and as i bottle, I would need a bottling wand. Now back a while ago because I was no longer using one, I posted it out to a forum member who wanted one but if I was to get one now, it is only part of a bottling kit and I really have no need for the whole kit, particularly as i bottle in glass bottles.

Is there a chance you could start selling that item separately?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Hi @BrewArt Team

Have bought the hops filter on my last order and as i bottle, I would need a bottling wand. Now back a while ago because I was no longer using one, I posted it out to a forum member who wanted one but if I was to get one now, it is only part of a bottling kit and I really have no need for the whole kit, particularly as i bottle in glass bottles.

Is there a chance you could start selling that item separately?

I second this.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@BrewArt Team

You need to look in to selling spare parts. I mean your customer service is top notch in replacing defective parts but if I want to change the tap on my droid after 3 years, I don't expect a newbie sent to me but in the same sense, I have profited from the generation that taught me to fix what you have so I do not believe a new unit is needed.

I understand that there are parts in a droid that are hard to source as far as electronics but things like taps, plugs, lids with bluetooth speakers, they should be something you can purchase and pimp up your droid.

Whilst i am at it, Netflix on the droid, that'd be good too 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

G 'Day Rob,

Thanks for the suggestion, we are planning an upgrade on our website soon and are planning on making some more spare parts available.

As for pimping up your BeerDroid with Netflix and Bluetooth speakers, we'll have to do some research on the effects of sound waves on fermentation first 😂 We'll put keep your suggestion in mind at our next R&D meeeting. 

Cheers

@BrewArt Team

Trust you all had a top Xmas and new year.

Now an idea for thought:-

BrewArt - What’s Happening

To have a direct avenue for marketing, BrewArt Team issues.

I’m suggesting this as a main topic thread, say down with “BrewPrint Food Pairing” and “BrewArt Banter”.

I know emails are generally sent however these can be received a day or two after something has started. Eg the free shipping, sometimes I see this in the store section of the app a day or two before the email. Some people don’t have quick access to emails.

In addition it could promote the forum, be accessed to see what’s going on. (I would inform the Facebook (non official BrewArt) of its availability on the Community Forum.

The thread could be a quick reference/advice to :-

. Free shipping

. Firmware updates

. Stock shortages - Droids, ingredients, BrewPrints etc

. When stocks are back, eg Droids

. BrewArt Promotions, eg Discounts on Droids, BrewFlo’s, accessories etc

. New BrewPrints

. Addition of new product items etc

. Anything the BrewArt Team wants to specifically advise

This thread would be very handy and so it doesn’t get over cluttered, when something has passed eg free shipping it’s deleted.

I’m happy to help out with general inputs and particularly the deletions when time has past.

Anyway, a thought I think of value however will leave for you to consider.

Cheers, Mark (Captain 3 Droids)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/1/22 at 9:35 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

@BrewArt Team

Trust you all had a top Xmas and new year.

Now an idea for thought:-

BrewArt - What’s Happening

To have a direct avenue for marketing, BrewArt Team issues.

I’m suggesting this as a main topic thread, say down with “BrewPrint Food Pairing” and “BrewArt Banter”.

I know emails are generally sent however these can be received a day or two after something has started. Eg the free shipping, sometimes I see this in the store section of the app a day or two before the email. Some people don’t have quick access to emails.

In addition it could promote the forum, be accessed to see what’s going on. (I would inform the Facebook (non official BrewArt) of its availability on the Community Forum.

The thread could be a quick reference/advice to :-

. Free shipping

. Firmware updates

. Stock shortages - Droids, ingredients, BrewPrints etc

. When stocks are back, eg Droids

. BrewArt Promotions, eg Discounts on Droids, BrewFlo’s, accessories etc

. New BrewPrints

. Addition of new product items etc

. Anything the BrewArt Team wants to specifically advise

This thread would be very handy and so it doesn’t get over cluttered, when something has passed eg free shipping it’s deleted.

I’m happy to help out with general inputs and particularly the deletions when time has past.

Anyway, a thought I think of value however will leave for you to consider.

Cheers, Mark (Captain 3 Droids)

@BrewArt Team

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

@BrewArt Team

I have said this before, put out a recipe that’s crap, so that we can say BrewArt recipes/BrewPrints are not all perfect.

Liam I suggest you call it  say  “Crap IPA Potato Sour” 

@BrewArt TeamI think based on this post we need some sort of Google Goggles type filter on the forum. ;)

• 4 months later...

@BrewArt Team I'd like to suggest a change or two to the App.

Currently, if Dry Hopping, once you tick that you've added the dry hops, the Droid automatically moves to 17°C for two days and from what I can tell, this is fixed and you cannot change it.

I would like to ask, given the recent thinking in terms of dry hopping is that shorter and colder is better, could you build in the ability to change the temperature like you have during the fermentation phase. It would also be good if you had the option to move to kegging or storage mode before the end of the 48 hours.

I've been using 100g (or more) of hops and my preference would be to dry hop at say 4-6°C for no more than 48-60 hours, style dependent of course.

The only way to do this now is to try to guess when fermentation is nearly complete and then manually change the temperature.

Among the many benefits of the BeerDroid, one of the things I think the Droid does particularly well is to calculate when fermentation is nearly finished and alerts you for dry hopping.

Thanks 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

@BrewArt Team I'd like to suggest a change or two to the App.

Currently, if Dry Hopping, once you tick that you've added the dry hops, the Droid automatically moves to 17°C for two days and from what I can tell, this is fixed and you cannot change it.

I would like to ask, given the recent thinking in terms of dry hopping is that shorter and colder is better, could you build in the ability to change the temperature like you have during the fermentation phase. It would also be good if you had the option to move to kegging or storage mode before the end of the 48 hours.

I've been using 100g (or more) of hops and my preference would be to dry hop at say 4-6°C for no more than 48-60 hours, style dependent of course.

The only way to do this now is to try to guess when fermentation is nearly complete and then manually change the temperature

Among the many benefits of the BeerDroid, one of the things I think the Droid does particularly well is to calculate when fermentation is nearly finished and alerts you for dry hopping.

Thanks 

Great suggestion Wazza.

I'm finding that I am using the Dry Hop function on the app less and timing hop additions using other brewing software.

I would prefer to do it via Droid/Brewart app and your feature suggestion would address this.

• Upvote 1

@Wazza_wantsbeer, nice suggestion but may result in a stalled fermentation.

As you said, the Droid times adding the dry hops when fermentation is nearly complete, if the temperature is dropped then the yeast will hibernate and the fermentation will stop and not complete, so the temp is bumped to 17C to ensure the fermentation completes.

A possible work around for you would be to tell the Droid you added the dry hops (but don't) then when it enters the cold crash period 2 days later, add them then. If you want more hop time in the cold, after the cold crash it moves to Keg simply push the Droid into Storage for the extra cold time and then to Keg.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

15 hours ago, xpsTech said:

@Wazza_wantsbeer, nice suggestion but may result in a stalled fermentation.

As you said, the Droid times adding the dry hops when fermentation is nearly complete, if the temperature is dropped then the yeast will hibernate and the fermentation will stop and not complete, so the temp is bumped to 17C to ensure the fermentation completes.

A possible work around for you would be to tell the Droid you added the dry hops (but don't) then when it enters the cold crash period 2 days later, add them then. If you want more hop time in the cold, after the cold crash it moves to Keg simply push the Droid into Storage for the extra cold time and then to Keg.

Cheers

Nice!

I think if the development budget allows then BrewArt should consider an advanced mode on the app where almost all parameters can be user defined.

I understand why this has not been done to date - it would be a support nightmare! 

There would probably be enough users out there by now that are keen to leverage more from the programmable nature of their Droids and if BrewArt can offer this to them then it may stop the churn to other systems like the Rapt offering from Kegland.

(not that I'm going anywhere, the Droid is the goods)

🍻

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Just a store suggestion, it would be good to have a https://brewart.com/au/store/brewprints/all page that just has all of them in one place instead of perusing the various collection pages trying to see if I've checked them all or if there's one I don't remember hiding in the back somewhere...

Or maybe there is one and I'm not seeing it haha

Edited by Gillies Brewing

4 hours ago, Gillies Brewing said:

Just a store suggestion, it would be good to have a https://brewart.com/au/store/brewprints/all page that just has all of them in one place instead of perusing the various collection pages trying to see if I've checked them all or if there's one I don't remember hiding in the back somewhere...

Or maybe there is one and I'm not seeing it haha

There might be one.

Brewart inspired collection View all button

• Upvote 3