The Hazy IPA

Ok , got this Hazy IPA recipe from Liam, to try. I have been asking Brewart to release this as a Brewprint. 

I think this is my favorite so far.

Really nice Hazy. 

E5 (x3), X2 (x3), Y2, D6, D7 

Brewing Program: Propagate: 22°C, Ferment: 18°C, Store: 4°C, Keg: 18°C, Dry Hop: Yes.

Been drinking this at 8 weeksIMG_20210306_184728005.thumb.jpg.b25e348e2249efb25965edd4b2dd3123.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Robert Pretty said:

Ok , got this Hazy IPA recipe from Liam, to try. I have been asking Brewart to release this as a Brewprint. 

Really nice Hazy. 

Brewing Program: Propagate: 22°C, Ferment: 18°C, Store: 4°C, Keg: 18°C, Dry Hop: Yes.

Been drinking this at 8 weeksIMG_20210306_184728005.thumb.jpg.b25e348e2249efb25965edd4b2dd3123.jpg

Looks great, will give it a go. Could you give a flavour profile? 

Thanks

Edited by Captain 3 Droids

4 hours ago, Robert Pretty said:

Really nice Hazy. 

Looks great, thanks Robert.

I'd really like it if they'd release the Coopers Hazy IPA as a Brewprint but it needs Lallemand yeast and Strata and Ahtanum hops. All easily obtainable but not currently in the Brewart stable of ingredients and probably not worth them packaging up for only a single recipe.

I'll give this one a try. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Josh and welcome. Alot good information on this forum. I think this was one of my favourites.  With bottles you can try after 2 weeks. For ales I go a min 4 weeks, Some Lagers are good after 2 weeks. I found at 8 weeks was the sweet spot. That's when I put the keg in the flow. I usually bottle half and keg half. I try the bottles at different times, as an indicator of when to drink the keg 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, J P said:

This is a ripper!   Is it a brewprint yet?

5AB624D9-4C02-4D33-B326-D5CEBA35CA81.jpeg

7DBAC591-4D45-41CA-A44A-01261C199322.jpeg

From the Hazy IPA thread.

“Ok , got this Hazy IPA recipe from Liam, to try. I have been asking Brewart to release this as a Brewprint. 

Really nice Hazy. 

Brewing Program: Propagate: 22°C, Ferment: 18°C, Store: 4°C, Keg: 18°C, Dry Hop: Yes.”

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/06/2021 at 9:45 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

Brewing Program: Propagate: 22°C, Ferment: 18°C, Store: 4°C, Keg: 18°C, Dry Hop: Yes.”

Well at nine weeks this has turned out quite exceptional. Very fruity/citrus as expected from the Galaxy and Citrus hops. 
Hazy in appearance and although I haven’t sampled the commercial brews I just feel this would be close.6C38EB3A-D496-4227-8B98-E919666C4164.thumb.jpeg.c8ced13f402198f4d7610fc55cd41b1a.jpegimage.thumb.jpg.0c9860479197b752b3fedcbeb7fa679b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
On 14/03/2021 at 9:09 AM, Robert Pretty said:

Really nice Hazy. 

Hi all, new to BeerDroid, haven't pulled the trigger on a purchase of one just yet as I had a few questions and concerns. Mainly looking at the BrewPrints, there really isn't a lot of the beers that I like to drink which are almost predominantly IPAs, specifically Hazy IPAs, NEIPA and West Coast IPAs. Basically either fruity hazy or punchy hoppy. Also really really enjoy double and triple IPAs such as Akasha's Korben D.

Also, I prefer my IPAs in the higher ABV range, 6.5-7% plus.

However, seeing this post has made me more excited about purchasing a BeerDroid. I do have a few questions such as:

What ABV does a beer like this one end up once kegged?

I assume the Hazy is the hops being suspended, does it stay like this or does the "hazy" eventually settle to the bottom of the keg/bottle?

Has anyone done a hop bomb West Coast IPA?

Cheers

Edited by Wazza_wantsbeer

28 minutes ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

Hi all, new to BeerDroid, haven't pulled the trigger on a purchase of one just yet as I had a few questions and concerns. Mainly looking at the BrewPrints, there really isn't a lot of the beers that I like to drink which are almost predominantly IPAs, specifically Hazy IPAs, NEIPA and West Coast IPAs. Basically either fruity hazy or punchy hoppy. Also really really enjoy double and triple IPAs such as Akasha's Korben D.

Also, I prefer my IPAs in the higher ABV range, 6.5-7% plus.

However, seeing this post has made me more excited about purchasing a BeerDroid. I do have a few questions such as:

What ABV does a beer like this one end up once kegged?

I assume the Hazy is the hops being suspended, does it stay like this or does the "hazy" eventually settle to the bottom of the keg/bottle?

Has anyone done a hop bomb West Coast IPA?

Cheers

Hi Wazza_wantsbeer and welcome to the forum. You certainly won’t regret getting a BeerDroid. In answer to you questions the Hazy ABV would be at 6.5%

The one I did definitely stayed hazy

I've done a Mr Beer Hop bomb (USA double IPA). The recipe stated with the Diablo IPA and hops were citra and bravo (I substituted with magnum).

• Thanks 1

Hi Wazza 

Welcome, I to like bold IPA's, there are plenty of base IPA recipes in the Brew prints, Pineapple Crush, The Point, Mountain Range etc, and on the Shem sheet there are some custom IPA recipes eg A Pirate Life IPA which is awesome. I have done a crankshaft clone as well. I usually take the base ingredients and add the hops I want. I have just used the Irish red ale base and hopped it with 35g each of Simcoe and Centennial to create a red IPA. 

You want regret buying a droid.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

Thank you Captain and Robert for your replies.

Certainly makes me feel much more confident pulling the trigger on a BeerDroid.

One thing I'm still not clear on, what is the average time from brewing initiation to bottling/kegging and most importantly, drinking?

Wazza a Droid (min 1, 😂) is a must. The average time is probably 7/8 days however the recipes do give a rough guide. Some brews fermentation is complete as little as 6 days. I record my EOF (end of fermentation) so now have fairly accurate data. If you get a Droid and you let us know the recipe I can let you know.

Now drinking is subjective, if bottling and using sugar tabs then 2 weeks min. Carbonation by Co2 gas/keg can be as soon as it’s carbonated. However letting your brews mature for a while like 6 weeks plus is the norm and is easily achievable if you build up stock.

Here’s a post reference that maw help.

https://community.brewart.com/topic/659-how-long-to-keep-in-bottle-before-drinking/?do=findComment&comment=8791

Cheers

• Thanks 1

Hi Wazza, As the captain says. I usually bottle half and keg half. Then I use the bottles to gauge the best time for the keg. Lagers I usually leave 4 weeks, Ales 8 weeks, stouts and porters 10 weeks. The kegs do take longer than the bottles to carbonate. Good things come to those who wait. In the beginning it is hard , but after a while you build stock and the toughest decision ( for us solo droiders) is what to brew next. I'm about to put down the Coopers Hazy IPA again with 50g each Athanum and Strata. As used by Coopers. This is a custom XPA I just poured. Called Mt Mirannie after the mountain in the back ground of the photo. Uses the American Pale Ale base, hopped with 25g each of Australian hops Vic Secret, Eclipse and Engima. Nice earthy resin drop. 

IMG_20211001_160019152.jpg

IMG_20211001_160107672.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Hi @Wazza_wantsbeer, welcome, there’s plenty of good advice to be found here.

The BeerDroid is just a fermenter - a very clever one at that, but ultimately you can brew whatever you like in it.

As for beer styles there are many of us brewing hop heavy ales and I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised at what you can achieve using the Brewart ingredients and some experimentation.

As said above you probably need to leave your creations for an average of 6 weeks to be drinking them at their best. It’s worth the wait. You’ll find yourself buying a second BeerDroid before you know it.

But perhaps buy one, start off with a couple of the hoppier “standard” recipes and see how you go. Then you can branch out and try some of the proven custom or clone recipes from the user spreadsheet or make up something yourself.

Better yet, you even have access to professional brewers at Brewart who will advise you on which ingredients you will need to make almost any commercial beer or craft style you could imagine.

It doesn’t get much better than that.

Cheers!

• Thanks 2