The Hazy IPA

Third time lucky... WHEW!

Lots of carbonation, flavour spot on.

OMG I'm so relieved.

Hazy and hoppy, the fruity hoppiness I was looking for and can only think this will only improve over the next 2-4 weeks.

Okay so 2 more bottles left plus 5 litres in the keg.

Feeling so much better now.

Still don't understand what happened to the first swing-top, clearly the cap wasn't tightened on the PET bottle but that doesn't explain the other....

20211216_200127.thumb.jpg.078603a1a99f296b9d20f23d546b79bc.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

Third time lucky... WHEW!

Lots of carbonation, flavour spot on.

OMG I'm so relieved.

Hazy and hoppy, the fruity hoppiness I was looking for and can only think this will only improve over the next 2-4 weeks.

Okay so 2 more bottles left plus 5 litres in the keg.

Feeling so much better now.

Still don't understand what happened to the first swing-top, clearly the cap wasn't tightened on the PET bottle but that doesn't explain the other....

20211216_200127.thumb.jpg.078603a1a99f296b9d20f23d546b79bc.jpg

Personally I don’t like the swing bottle seals, you only have to have the slightest misalignment.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Personally I don’t like the swing bottle seals, you only have to have the slightest misalignment.

That makes sense C3D.

Will take more care next time for sure.

Another lesson or two learned.

On the other hand, I did get to drink 2x 750ml bottles, one not great, the other very good on a Thursday night and now I'm sitting here with a very pleasant buzz on.

Always look on the bright side of life... right 🍻

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Brew No. 5

Just got my Brother's Birthday Brew on, another version of the Hazy IPA, calling it the 3B NZ DDH Hazy IPA.

As my Bro prefers his beers around the 6-6.5% ABV, I stayed with the original recipe of 3x E5 and 3x X2 but decided to go with Lallemand LalBrew Verdant IPA yeast. And this time I couldn't be arsed splitting the pack so just pitched it all in.

Will be interesting to see how the Verdant yeast compares with the Y2 yeast.

Plan for the hops will be:

1st Hop Addition at high krausen 15 g each of Wai-iti, Riwaka and Moutere

Will go into my hop bag.

2nd Hop Addition @dry hop 10g each of Wai-iti, Riwaka,  Moutere and will add 15-20g of Citra just to boost the citrus notes as this was the flavour profile my Bro likes.

At the 2nd hop addition I will also take the bag of hops out and then chuck the fresh hops in.

Thinking to remove the 1st hop addition in the bag as those hops will have been in the brew for a good 4-5 days, maybe longer and are likely to not be adding any extra flavour.

Thoughts?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

Thinking to remove the 1st hop addition in the bag as those hops will have been in the brew for a good 4-5 days, maybe longer and are likely to not be adding any extra flavour.

I’d do it, at high krausen it will give a flavour boost and a bit of bitterness, like your recipe,  at at worst your brother won’t want another brew next year 😂😂😂😂😂

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

Brew No. 5

Just got my Brother's Birthday Brew on, another version of the Hazy IPA, calling it the 3B NZ DDH Hazy IPA.

As my Bro prefers his beers around the 6-6.5% ABV, I stayed with the original recipe of 3x E5 and 3x X2 but decided to go with Lallemand LalBrew Verdant IPA yeast. And this time I couldn't be arsed splitting the pack so just pitched it all in.

Will be interesting to see how the Verdant yeast compares with the Y2 yeast.

Plan for the hops will be:

1st Hop Addition at high krausen 15 g each of Wai-iti, Riwaka and Moutere

Will go into my hop bag.

2nd Hop Addition @dry hop 10g each of Wai-iti, Riwaka,  Moutere and will add 15-20g of Citra just to boost the citrus notes as this was the flavour profile my Bro likes.

At the 2nd hop addition I will also take the bag of hops out and then chuck the fresh hops in.

Thoughts?

Looks good. Not sure I'd bother fishing out the first hop addition. Verdant will be nice and fast, you won't get any grassy off flavours. With that amount of hops, it'll be the liquid absorption that'll be something to be aware of.  Sounds good tho.

Cheers to birthday beers. 

• Upvote 3

On 16/12/21 at 8:00 AM, Hambone said:

ID 4mm. Length, I start at 2m then nip off 50mm at a time to get a nice pour. Ended up around 1.8m for 10psi. Flow control should help for lower or higher psi settings. 

Cheers 

Keep on preachin’ pastor Hambone!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Hambone said:

Looks good. Not sure I'd bother fishing out the first hop addition. Verdant will be nice and fast, you won't get any grassy off flavours. With that amount of hops, it'll be the liquid absorption that'll be something to be aware of.  Sounds good tho.

Cheers to birthday beers. 

Nice and fast alright @Hambone. Wow, seeing very vigorous activity already and only 16 hours since starting the brew.

Already getting some very promising smell as I waft towards my nose from the spew port.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

Nice and fast alright @Hambone. Wow, seeing very vigorous activity already and only 16 hours since starting the brew.

Already getting some very promising smell as I waft towards my nose from the spew port.

Yeah I love Verdant yeast. It adds some great esters to the beer.

Enjoy.

1 minute ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Is it worth harvesting the yeast a few times for future use?

It's definitely worth harvesting. Top cropping or harvesting from the bottom of the fermenter are both suitable for this yeast. I still have a jar of harvested yeast.

Cheers.

• Upvote 1

Woke up this morning to a small spew so figured it was high krausen time and so first hop addition done. Went as per plan, in the boiled and sanitised hop bag went 15g each of Wai-iti, Riwaka and Moutere

Now the reason for posting is to comment on the difference using the Lalbrew Verdant IPA to the Y2 yeasts. As per advice from @Hambone, the Verdant is definitely faster to propagate and ferment but the main difference is the smell.

Wafting from the spew port, wow! And then lifting the lid on the Droid for hopping, I was hit square in the face with the most amazing smell, by far better than any smell I've encountered thus far in my (admittedly limited) brewing.

To add to that, the krausen was the best looking of all that I've seen. Light but densely fluffy and looked like the top of a coke spider. My hop bag wouldn't pierce the krausen so I quickly steralised a spoon and pushed it thru the krausen.

Note to self, try to get a few marbles to add to the bag next time.

There are already very tropical fruity tones, a lot less of the bread smell that I've had with the BrewPrints and TBH, much more enticing than the All Inn NEIPA FWK that used the LalBrew New England East Coast Ale Yeast which was my last brew.

If it tastes as good as it smells, this will be my go to yeast for all Hazy/NEIPAs from now on.

I've already ordered a few more packets as my next brew will be another Hazy IPA, this time for myself and will tweak the recipe yet again to go for  DDH Hazy IIPA.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

Woke up this morning to a small spew so figured it was high krausen time and so first hop addition done. Went as per plan, in the boiled and sanitised hop bag went 15g each of Wai-iti, Riwaka and Moutere

Now the reason for posting is to comment on the difference using the Lalbrew Verdant IPA to the Y2 yeasts. As per advice from @Hambone, the Verdant is definitely faster to propagate and ferment but the main difference is the smell.

Wafting from the spew port, wow! And then lifting the lid on the Droid for hopping, I was hit square in the face with the most amazing smell, by far better than any smell I've encountered thus far in my (admittedly limited) brewing.

To add to that, the krausen was the best looking of all that I've seen. Light but densely fluffy and looked like the top of a coke spider. My hop bag wouldn't pierce the krausen so I quickly steralised a spoon and pushed it thru the krausen.

There are already very tropical fruity tones, a lot less of the bread smell that I've had with the BrewPrints and TBH, much more enticing than the All Inn NEIPA FWK that used the LalBrew New England East Coast Ale Yeast which was my last brew.

If it tastes as good as it smells, this will be my go to yeast for all Hazy/NEIPAs from now on.

I've already ordered a few more packets as my next brew will be another Hazy IPA, this time for myself and will tweak the recipe yet again to go for  DDH Hazy IIPA.

Next challenge @Wazza_wantsbeerwill be to learn yeast harvesting. I know the dried yeast packets aren't that expensive, but next time you do your first dry hop, use that sterilsed spoon to scoop out a fair portion of the krausen into a boiled and sterilised jar. 

Look up yeast harvesting, including top cropping on the interwebs. Also, Verdant is able to be harvested from the vessel after fermentation, and the bung hole 😆 (yes i'm a big kid) is perfect for that.

cheers

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hambone said:

Next challenge @Wazza_wantsbeerwill be to learn yeast harvesting. I know the dried yeast packets aren't that expensive, but next time you do your first dry hop, use that sterilsed spoon to scoop out a fair portion of the krausen into a boiled and sterilised jar. 

Look up yeast harvesting, including top cropping on the interwebs. Also, Verdant is able to be harvested from the vessel after fermentation, and the bung hole 😆 (yes i'm a big kid) is perfect for that.

cheers

I've been thinking of getting into that too, but as I've just managed to get most of my beer stuff (less all the hops) out of the main house fridge, I don't dare start putting flasks and beakers in there lest I value my continued existence ...

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

I've been thinking of getting into that too, but as I've just managed to get most of my beer stuff (less all the hops) out of the main house fridge, I don't dare start putting flasks and beakers in there lest I value my continued existence ...

yeah, fair enough too. I had to wait until I had a separate fridge. Now that I've stopped all grain and multiple fermentations etc, I'm down to 2 extra fridges instead of 4. 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

@Wazza_wantsbeerThere's an episode of "Beerland" on SBS where the host goes to White Labs to talk all things yeast and the takeaway is that a significant portion of the flavour profile of a beer comes from the strain used.

Coopers yeasts have a particular flavour profile that make them very "Coopers tasting". You either like them or you don't.

Growing up in Melbourne we were all blown away when we started to get Coopers beers on tap in the 90's and I fell in love with that distinct flavour and will remain a lifelong fan. 

@Captain 3 Droids posted the specification sheet for the Brewart yeasts somewhere here recently and whilst a couple are proprietary strains, if you use country of origin as a guide then it's reasonable to assume that some of the others are other manufacturer's yeast repackaged.

I've got some Verdant yeast in the fridge too and will be on the lookout for an IPA recipe to use it on.

Looking forward to hearing how your Sheep Shagger Hazy turns out. 😜

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Okay so on a hot humid day in Sydney, what better than enjoying a pour of your own DDH Hazy IPA on the balcony...?

20211221_141934.thumb.jpg.d4370cfa2e776d7d8542d6b1ec9017ef.jpg

Well how about the first pour of my own brewed beer, the DDH Hazy IPA, from my own kegerator on our balcony.

Okay sure... a top less beer wench might make it a bit better but that's about all.

Guys, thank you because without all of you who make this forum what it is, I would not be sitting here in absolute heaven right now.

Cheers 🍺🍻

• Haha 3