The Hazy IPA

On 03/02/2022 at 1:05 PM, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

Brew No. 9

Finished kegging the All Inn NEIPA. Went much better this time after cleaning up that troublesome liquid post on the keg.

Into the Droid will be my next version of the Hazy IPA. This time it will be a Imperial Hazy IPA or Hazy IIPA or Double Hazy IPA, Hazy Double IPA... your choice of naming convention as there seems to be plenty of examples of each of these in the market.

So yes, I am going big, like 9% ABV big to definitely be a true Double Hazy IPA! I'm also going big on hops too with a total of 150 grams!

And Yes, I will prepare for the inevitable vigorous spewing 🤣  

I've also decided to reverse the normal ingredients list and that is to go with more X2 than E5. The reasoning for this is two fold:

Element E5 has hops added, presumably during the mash as a bittering agent and I don't want that

Enhancer X2 is Malted Barley and Wheat as it is the wheat that I am after for more body and mouth feel.

It should be noted that on the BrewArt website under Ingredients, the page for Enhancer X2 (https://brewart.com/au/store/ingredients/enhancers/enhancer-2) shows that it contains both Malted Barely and Wheat but I have just noticed on the packages of X2 it has only Malted Barely as the ingredient!

Hmmmmm... If that is the case, then that is definitely misleading advertising @BrewArt Team

Anyway, I digress... so I also plan to keg the lot into my new Kegland 9,5l half corny but will add two BrewArt Primers and leave this in a cool part of the apartment for 2 weeks for secondary fermentation. I could put it straight into the Kegerator as I have plenty of room but I want to see how this turns out using the primers.

To accomplish this, the plan is to do the usual deep clean of the keg using sodium percarbonate for 24 hours then rinse with water. The night before kegging I then sanitise with StellarSan and leave overnight. The next day, I will purge StellarSan solution out of the keg, open and shove the 2 primers in and close as quick as I can and, then fill with lots of CO2 and purge using the PRV before doing a closed transfer from Droid to Keg.

So the planned recipe is as follows:

Recipe v6 - Double Hazy IPA:

Ingredients: E5 (x3), X2 (x5), 250g dextrose, 2x BrewArt Primer

ABV: 9%

Yeast: Lallemand Lalbrew Verdant IPA - Ale Yeast

Hops: 50g each of Idaho-7, Amarillo and Galaxy

Brewing Program: Propagate: 22°C

Steped Fermentation: Start 19°C, day 2 20°C, day 4 21°C

Store: 4°C, Keg: 16°C, Dry Hop: Yes.

So wow, this brew is still going in the Droid, 12.5 days now and looking thru the viewing port (I know, I know 😉) I can still see activity, a pretty steady stream of small bubbles rising from the bottom.

This is the longest beer brew time for me yet, the only one that has gone longer was the Cider at a total of 16 days including cold crash which was to be expected.

I'm thinking there's at least 2 more days left of fermentation as the Droid tests once a day and looks for a consistent reading over two days before it notifies for Dry Hopping?

Given I still haven't had the Dry Hop notification, which means there is still a minimum of 4 days remaining in this brew, 2 days dry hop plus 2 days cold crash.

Does this sound right?

Edited by Wazza_wantsbeer

3 minutes ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

So wow, this brew is still going in the Droid, 12.5 days now and looking thru the viewing port (I know, I know 😉) I can still see activity, a pretty steady stream of small bubbles rising from the bottom.

This is the longest beer brew time for me yet, the only one that has gone longer was the Cider at a total of 16 days including cold crash which was to be expected.

I'm thinking there's at least 2 more days left of fermentation as the Droid tests once a day and looks for a consistent reading over two days before it notifies for Dry Hopping?

Given I still haven't had the Dry Hop notification, which means there is still a minimum of 4 days remaining in this brew, 2 days dry hop plus 2 days cold crash.

Does this sound right?

Being an all grain wort the longevity of the fermentation is acceptable, 14-16 days would not be unreasonable. The dry hop mode does add 4 days which can be pain. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Being an all grain wort the longevity of the fermentation is acceptable, 14-16 days would not be unreasonable. The dry hop mode does add 4 days which can be pain. 

@Captain 3 Droids  this isn't an all grain wort, this is the experimental Double Hazy using BrewArt ingredients from the original recipe to use more X2 than E5:

This Double Hazy IPA is using E5 (x3), X2 (x5) plus 250g dextrose.

Recalling that original recipe worked up with @Robert Pretty and Liam called for E5 (x3), X2 (x3)

I realise that there is a lot of sugars to ferment in this brew, effectively 2kg of DME (the X2 and E5) plus another 250g of dextrose. TBH, I am really regretting adding the Dextrose but oh well, live and learn.

The Verdant yeast started quickly as it always does, showing active fermentation within about 6-8 hours of pitching, a decent spew on day 2 and has been actively fermenting non-stop for the whole time. Looking now thru the view port it's a steady stream of small bubbles.

One thing is, the wort is considerably darker now than it was at the beginning, interesting how the colour of the brew changes the longer it is in the Droid.

I'm picking this one will not ask to be dry hopped for another 2 days so based on that, will not be ready to keg for another 6 days making it 19 days in total, longest for me by far!

The all grain wort I did on the weekend is sitting in it's cube waiting patiently for it's time in the Droid.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

Finally got the notice to dry hop my Double Hazy IPA.

However when I opened the droid lid, got a massive shock 😲 

Any idea what this is or if the beer is any good?

20220220_112752.thumb.jpg.922ee5f1eb0e7d05a37fbdd984b1b63f.jpg

Haven't added the hops as I don't want to waste them if the beer is ruined.

20220220_112758.thumb.jpg.4a8d2c380e5b7f4a190aba02e53d8e4f.jpg

That’s a massive infection, suspect Pellicle, usually caused by wild yeasts or over exposure to the air. There doesn’t appear to be any greenness to it or bacteria as such so

(Those bubbles is trapped Co2. Now do not disturb it) 

1) does it smell? 2) take a small sample from the tap and taste it? All ok then wait for EOF and then you could keg and dry hop with liquid sachet or hop bag or ss hop bomb.

If worried then dump it. In any event the droid, tap, bung and lid/seal must be throughly cleaned and sanitised before your next brew.

8 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

That’s a massive infection, suspect Pellicle, usually caused by wild yeasts or over exposure to the air. There doesn’t appear to be any greenness to it or bacteria as such so

(Those bubbles is trapped Co2. Now do not disturb it) 

1) does it smell? 2) take a small sample from the tap and taste it? All ok then wait for EOF and then you could keg and dry hop with liquid sachet or hop bag or ss hop bomb.

If worried then dump it. In any event the droid, tap, bung and lid/seal must be throughly cleaned and sanitised before your next brew.

Thanks @Captain 3 Droids

Yeah it smells a bit funny and to be honest, I'm not keen to taste it.

It will be a sink pour.

Don't know how it got infected. Possibly during the spewing, can the bubbling out the spew vent introduce wild yeast?

2 minutes ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

Don't know how it got infected. Possibly during the spewing, can the bubbling out the spew vent introduce wild yeast?

No wouldn’t think so. Can happen if you leave the lid off after cleaning. I always clean, lid back on, sanitise, lid back on etc.

Be brave taste it 1) won’t hurt you as the Pellicle is on the top, 2) you need to know if it tastes like crap 🤔

@Wazza_wantsbeer, so info worth noting and reason to taste etc

“To be clear, the presence of a pellicle does not mean that your beer will make you sick, nor does it mean that the character of your beer will have changed for the worse. And as discussed, depending on the pellicle-forming microorganism in question, the beer may not even become tart, let alone sour.

Pellicles have little to no bearing on the quality of the nature of the final output. It’s largely a cosmetic feature of the brewing process that’s fun to witness.”

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

No wouldn’t think so. Can happen if you leave the lid off after cleaning. I always clean, lid back on, sanitise, lid back on etc.

Be brave taste it 1) won’t hurt you as the Pellicle is on the top, 2) you need to know if it tastes like crap 🤔

Had a quick small taste. Quite sour.

So disappointed but on the positive side, once I've cleaned twice and sterilised the Droid, I will get my All grain wort in as it's been waiting a whole week in the cube.

Also, saved myself from wasting 150g of hops.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

From the BrewArt owners FB group, the advice is to...

"Well and truely infected..at best will have a slight sour/vinegary taste is my bet. smash it with diluted bleach, followed by 3xdroid tablets then starsan"

Sure it can be infected however on occasions it doesn’t effect the brew as I’ve quoted above so always worth checking before dumping. I had Pellicle (not as bad as yours) recently with a Jolly  Roger brew, no detrimental effects at all. Keg consumed and enjoyed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

From the BrewArt owners FB group, the advice is to...

"Well and truely infected..at best will have a slight sour/vinegary taste is my bet. smash it with diluted bleach, followed by 3xdroid tablets then starsan"

Can anyone give me an idea as to how much bleach to use in the Droid to give it  thorough cleaning?

5 minutes ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

Can anyone give me an idea as to how much bleach to use in the Droid to give it  thorough cleaning?

Personally I wouldn’t be using bleach, I’d be a bit worried as to it’s effect on the rubber part of the tap system. I’d be using a strong solution of sodium percarbonate, fill Droid say 3/4 then put in 2 tablespoons of sodium percarbonate that you have mixed with hot water from the tap, add to Droid the top up to the top. Wipe lid with with solution. Leave over night then drain and rinse/sanitise everything. Lid/seal/tap pulled apart.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Gillies Brewing said:

From what I remember, Liam has given the bleach advice in here before, but I don't remember what dilution. And of course, making sure water goes in first

I’ve recommended it as a sanitiser https://community.brewart.com/topic/178-english-pub-draught/?do=findComment&comment=3031

However think it would need to  be a lot stronger with an infection problem.

• Thanks 1

Okay all cleaned.

Took extra care to make sure everything was cleaned as well as possible with hot soapy water.

I took the seal off the lid and gave that a bloody good cleaning and then a soak in StellarSan before putting it back on the lid and did as @Captain 3 Droids recommended.

I used 50g of sodium percarbonate and filled the droid to the very top, put the lid on and will leave it overnight.

Then I will use 2 droid cleanse tablets and soak again for about another 6 hours before I try again, this time with my all grain NEIPA.

Wish me luck.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 20/02/2022 at 3:07 PM, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

I used 50g of sodium percarbonate and filled the droid to the very top, put the lid on and will leave it overnight.

FWIW I always use 5g/L sodium percarbonate in warm water when cleaning my Droids so it's roughly 50g at a time. You would've done a good job with that.

I buy 5kg bags from the local homebrew store for about $25 so it still lasts a very long time.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/02/2022 at 8:28 PM, Dustin Frothman said:

FWIW I always use 5g/L sodium percarbonate in warm water when cleaning my Droids so it's roughly 50g at a time. You would've done a good job with that.

I buy 5kg bags from the local homebrew store for about $25 so it still lasts a very long time.

@Dustin Frothman so does this mean you have stopped buying the Droid Cleaning tablets?

I was thinking of doing this as you must go thru quite a few having multiple Droids and the cost would add up?

On 9/3/2022 at 10:07 AM, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

@Dustin Frothman so does this mean you have stopped buying the Droid Cleaning tablets?

I was thinking of doing this as you must go thru quite a few having multiple Droids and the cost would add up?

Yes I don’t think I’ve bought many at all, perhaps just a few right at the beginning of my BrewArt journey whilst learning how to use the Droid and ingredients.

They’re certainly very convenient and I’d recommend them for anyone that is starting out or likes to keep their cleaning regime simple. I don’t have any left to check their ingredients, but if I recall correctly they are basically sodium percarbonate and triclosan.

I figured I was better off purchasing the sodium percarbonate in bulk for cleaning and using stellarsan as a sanitiser. I think together those two products are perhaps a little more versatile in their application.

I haven’t had any issues with infections so far using either and I recently bought some PBW too, which is just sodium percarbonate with a detergent/surfactant added to remove hop oils etc.

Between the three I’m covered for cleaning and sanitising the Droids, kegs, bottles, beer lines and taps.

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, J P said:

This is a killer drop.  As good as anything Deeds or Garage project turns out.   

Definately on the brew it right away list!

4041BC02-AC79-4FE4-8552-2E03CB90E7C4.jpeg

I used MJ M66 HopHead yeast which has additional enzymes (pectinase and something else)  that augment the hop aromas and flavours, and I added 2H9 per keg (cascade) hop sachets.   It’s just simply scrumptious 

Edited by J P
Mistake
  • Like 3