The Hazy IPA

Updated

Recipe v1 (the original):

E5 (x3), X2 (x3), Y2, D6 (Citra), D7 (Galaxy) @25g each

Brewing Program: Propagate: 22°C, Ferment: 18°C, Store: 4°C, Keg: 18°C, Dry Hop: Yes.

Recipe v2 (Coopers Hazy IPA clone):

E5 (x3), X2 (x3), Y2, Antanum, Strata @ 25g each 

Brewing Program: Propagate: 22°C, Ferment: 18°C, Store: 4°C, Keg: 18°C, Dry Hop: Yes.

Recipe v2.1

As above but with Antanum and Strata @ 50g each

Recipe v3 (C3Ds Hazy IPA):

E5 (x3), X2 (x3), Y2, Sabro @40g and Idaho 7 @30g

Brewing Program: Propagate: 22°C, Ferment: 18°C, Store: 4°C, Keg: 18°C, Dry Hop: Yes.

Recipe v4 (7.0-7.5% DDH Hazy IPA):

E5 (x4), X2 (x3), Y2, Citra, Mosaic, Eclipse

1st Hop Addition at high krausen, 15g each. 2nd Hop Addition (at dry hop) 25g of Citra & Mosaic, 20g Eclipse

Back in my favourite thread and wanted to share what my next planned brew.

My brother who has his birthday in early Feb.  has been keenly following my brewing exploits in our WhatsApp chat and I asked him if he would like 10 litres of beer for his birthday and if  yes, what style would he like. His immediate response was that he likes a Hazy IPA, especially like the Balter Hazy. In terms of flavour, he prefers more citrus fruity flavour.

Now I've looked everywhere to see if I can find a clone recipe for the Balter Hazy IPA and there isn't much available, not even on the hops they have used.

So I've decided to have another crack at the Hazy IPA and this time, given we were all born in NZ, to go for another DDH NZ Hazy IPA.

Planning to go with Nelson Sauvin, Riwaka and something else so I'm looking for suggestions.

Will probably go with the original recipe in terms of ABV as he doesn't want something too strong so 6.5% should do well.

21 minutes ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

My brother who has his birthday in early Feb.  has been keenly following my brewing exploits in our WhatsApp chat and I asked him if he would like 10 litres of beer for his birthday and if  yes, what style would he like. His immediate response was that he likes a Hazy IPA, especially like the Balter Hazy. In terms of flavour, he prefers more citrus fruity flavour.

Now I've looked everywhere to see if I can find a clone recipe for the Balter Hazy IPA and there isn't much available, not even on the hops they have used.

So I've decided to have another crack at the Hazy IPA and this time, given we were all born in NZ, to go for another DDH NZ Hazy IPA.

Planning to go with Nelson Sauvin, Riwaka and something else so I'm looking for suggestions.

Will probably go with the original recipe in terms of ABV as he doesn't want something too strong so 6.5% should do well.

New Zealand, clone ... too many jokes, must resist! ;)

In all seriousness just email Liam via tech@brewart.com and request a Balty Hazy Brewart clone. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

I asked Liam for a Balter Easy Hazy recipe from their ingredients and this is his reply:

Hey Scott,

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

I haven’t had a chance to try the Balter Easy Hazy yet, but if the Hazy is anything to go by it should be delicious.

There’s not a whole heap of information I can go from online, but this should get you close.

E5

E5

X2

X2

Y2

There’s no information about what hops they’re using either. But from the description “The succulent US hops deliver lime, passionfruit and hints of coconut” I’m guessing they’re using Citra and Cashmere.

We don’t have Cashmere Hops, so you could just Dry Hop with Citra and see how it turns out.

D6 - Citra

This should leave you with the following:

ALC%

IBU

EBC

Brewing Program: Propagate: 22°C, Ferment: 18°C, Keg: 18°C, Store: 4°, Dry Hop: Yes.

Please let me know how it turns out.

• Thanks 2

On 04/12/2021 at 11:41 AM, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

@Hambone would be great if you could start a new thread on your build to take newbies like me thru the process.

I'm keen to either buy or build one for myself.

As promised not going into depth, but parts were all here and the wife can't decide what type of fridge she wants to look at long term so this will live in the garage until then.

For now, picked this fridge (no freezer) up for $20 on marketplace, took 40mins to put together. 

Robert's  your Mothers brother.

That keg is my last all grain pale ale. First Droid keg in will be the Lighthouse Pacific Ale. 

PM me if you want more info.

Cheers 

20211216_075216.jpg

20211216_075224.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Hambone said:

As promised not going into depth, but parts were all here and the wife can't decide what type of fridge she wants to look at long term so this will live in the garage until then.

For now, picked this fridge (no freezer) up for $20 on marketplace, took 40mins to put together. 

Robert's  your Mothers brother.

That keg is my last all grain pale ale. First Droid keg in will be the Lighthouse Pacific Ale. 

PM me if you want more info.

Cheers 

20211216_075216.jpg

20211216_075224.jpg

What a bargain. I see 2 of the taps are flow control which is great. What inside diameter tubing and length?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

What a bargain. I see 2 of the taps are flow control which is great. What inside diameter tubing and length?

ID 4mm. Length, I start at 2m then nip off 50mm at a time to get a nice pour. Ended up around 1.8m for 10psi. Flow control should help for lower or higher psi settings. 

Cheers 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Hambone said:

ID 4mm. Length, I start at 2m then nip off 50mm at a time to get a nice pour. Ended up around 1.8m for 10psi. Flow control should help for lower or higher psi settings. 

Cheers 

Interesting, I use 4mm ID, 10 psi but only at 1 metre in length. The first pour of the day has to start slow control by the flow lever but after that, all good.AFB62D1D-B1C8-4E89-8A49-776BEB2349B4.thumb.jpeg.18901932e7f03fb13616484d5a94c3d0.jpegEA3FB3FD-EFDC-4F53-8872-AEC913A5FD48.thumb.jpeg.39f45ffe5cb2d8fcb4f3a5ca3b8b94d2.jpeg

• Like 1

So... my DDH Hazy IPA turned 2 weeks old today and you know what that means... first real taste test as secondary fermentation should be complete.

Except oh yeah, make sure you tighten the cap on your PET bottle as tight as you can.

Flat beer, clearly oxidised by colour and taste. My first sink pour.

Saving grace, it was the only PET bottle I used and the rest are in glass swing tops so into the fridge goes one of those because you know, I really need to taste it now. Also, a 5 litre keg sits full waiting for Xmas eve and day.

Rookie errors, I keep making 'em but it's not going to stop me.

20211216_175901.thumb.jpg.9eb88e1893528efa880c707346c7f0fd.jpg

Funny, the picture doesn't do justice to just how dark brown with a greenish tinge it has.

Funny thing, when I took the bottle out of the cupboard where they are, the bottle didn't feel right to me, it felt soft and therefore not carbonated. I also chilled it in the freezer laying down for 5 mins and it leaked so clearly the cap wasn't tight enough.

Edited by Wazza_wantsbeer
  • Upvote 1

Opened the swing-top that I put in the fridge.

Flat, the colour and taste not as bad as the first but oh, oh so disappointing.

I don't understand. The first two brews the N-C IPA and Point IPA both turned out so well.

Heaps of carbonation, nothing oxidised so far with those two but this, my third brew using the recipe above, just a world apart and not in a good way.

What am I doing wrong???

20211216_184559.thumb.jpg.a6d558dcd4ba7c42d87d25b006b52db3.jpg20211216_184630.thumb.jpg.6e71db5b511a3a068a54a81bdd22a823.jpg At least the taste of this one isn't quite as bad so won't be a sink pour...

Just drink it but not enjoyable at all.

😥