The Hazy IPA

38 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

@Wazza_wantsbeer

If you're going to keep it on the balcony perhaps look into getting one of these when you can:

https://www.kegland.com.au/series-4-kegerator-cover-water-resistant.html

Yes was looking at just that.

The balcony is well protected Nd recessed from direct sunlight and rain but still on humid days like today and don't want anything to hurt my baby.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Robert Pretty said:

Damn you @Dustin Frothman & @Wazza_wantsbeer. Those Kegerator's look so good. Did you buy direct from Kegland? Is it to late to put one on Santa's list?

And I got my thru a local Sydney reseller, 41 Pints of Beer (https://www.41pintsofbeer.com.au/)

And no, I don't think they are sold out yet so get in there.  

19 hours ago, Robert Pretty said:

The Hazy with 25g of Athanum and Strata, at 7 weeks. Pouring well, not as fruity as the original. Still good on a hot day. Next time back to the original recipe, using 50g of hops instead of 25g.

IMG_20211221_184839624.jpg

@Robert Pretty that is a damn fine looking beer and I'm sure it tastes great, but...

That view, I mean holy shite, is that the view from your home?

If so, then I tip my hat to you and can only say I envy you!

Just poured myself another draw of my DDH Hazy IPA from the kegerator and this is seriously a beer that just keeps on getting better.

As a long time craft beer wanker whose preferences lean towards the Hazys and NEIPAs, (plus punchy West Coast IPAs) this is as good as any craft beet I've had and it's still just a touch under 5 weeks post fermentation.

Is this prime drinking time?

If so, I cannot commit to having anything left in my 5l keg by Xmas evening.

Can I ask a stupid question? I've still got 5x 750ml bottles of this. Can I pour those bottles into the keg?

I'm thinking I would then purge with CO2 but...???

3 minutes ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

Just poured myself another draw of my DDH Hazy IPA from the kegerator and this is seriously a beer that just keeps on getting better.

As a long time craft beer wanker whose preferences lean towards the Hazys and NEIPAs, (plus punchy West Coast IPAs) this is as good as any craft beet I've had and it's still just a touch under 5 weeks post fermentation.

Is this prime drinking time?

If so, I cannot commit to having anything left in my 5l keg by Xmas evening.

Can I ask a stupid question? I've still got 5x 750ml bottles of this. Can I pour those bottles into the keg?

I'm thinking I would then purge with CO2 but...???

I wouldn't pour bottles into a keg. They'll be great straight for the tallie.

Cheers 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Hazy IPA in the droid tonight per recipe except for hops. Will be dry hopping on day 4 30g each of Idaho 7 and Sequoia. 

Obtained 250g of the Sequoia hops, strong flavour profile and apparently very suitable for Hazy IPA’s

”The Sequoia™ Hop Blend has pronounced tropical fruit (mango, pineapple) with citrus and pine. Its sensory profile is a mix of tropical fruit and classic West Coast hop character.

Brewing Application

Sequoia™ is designed as a late kettle or dry hop for classic West Coast-inspired IPAs showcasing notes of tropical fruit, citrus, and pine. It’s strong tropical fruit expression also makes it well-suited to hazy or juicy IPA, as well as other hop-forward styles

Flavor Profile: Tropical, Pineapple, Mango, Pine

Beer Style Recommendations: Hazy IPA, IPAs, Pale Ale, Session IPA”

Looking forward to the combination.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Obtained 250g of the Sequoia hops, strong flavour profile and apparently very suitable for Hazy IPA’s

”The Sequoia™ Hop Blend has pronounced tropical fruit (mango, pineapple) with citrus and pine. Its sensory profile is a mix of tropical fruit and classic West Coast hop character.

Brewing Application

Sequoia™ is designed as a late kettle or dry hop for classic West Coast-inspired IPAs showcasing notes of tropical fruit, citrus, and pine. It’s strong tropical fruit expression also makes it well-suited to hazy or juicy IPA, as well as other hop-forward styles

Flavor Profile: Tropical, Pineapple, Mango, Pine

Beer Style Recommendations: Hazy IPA, IPAs, Pale Ale, Session IPA”

Looking forward to the combination.

Sounds perfect 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Dustin Frothman said:

8DDBFE15-742B-47EC-8F00-95E8BBB2B5EA.thumb.jpeg.c9eac744cc7d16b3ac36edaa07b334df.jpeg

CA043AA6-55CC-43DA-BAAB-5548E12108FC.thumb.jpeg.523b4f56ea6c447cafd136bd981a47dd.jpeg

Haha I overshared with that post hence the edit. I didn’t think wearing everyone else out was fair.

The hotel has a decent range of beer including XPA. Win.

West End Draught on the end, it doesn’t belong there🙄.

(Ps you didn’t have to edit, the “wandering brewer” is ok ✈️🛫🛬🛸🚀🛩🚁🛥🛶🚢)

• Like 2

On 22/12/2021 at 4:37 PM, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

@Robert Pretty that is a damn fine looking beer and I'm sure it tastes great, but...

That view, I mean holy shite, is that the view from your home?

If so, then I tip my hat to you and can only say I envy you!

@Wazza_wantsbeer, sure is one of the views from my place in the Hunter Valley.

IMG_20210905_172950554.jpg

IMG_20210907_173539720.jpg

Edited by Robert Pretty
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

West End Draught on the end, it doesn’t belong there🙄.

(Ps you didn’t have to edit, the “wandering brewer” is ok ✈️🛫🛬🛸🚀🛩🚁🛥🛶🚢)

Well if it counts I just had another XPA at the Coopers bar here at Adelaide airport, however I took my coffee in there too and went straight from first coffee of the day (at 11:30am mind you!!!) onto a pint and chips.

Gotta love Christmas in my line of work. 😶

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

A quick update on my 3B DDH NZ Hazy IPA for my brothers Birthday.

Finally, and I mean finally, got the dry hop notification yesterday early evening. This is the longest I've had to wait for any brew thus far, 11 days.

Which is strange as the Verdant IPA yeast started early and vigorously so I'm kinda scratching my head in surprise.

Been looking thru through portal for the past five days and seeing very little if any activity, no bubbles, just some floaties. But the Droid didn't think it was time for the dry hops.

Anyway, went with the plan as detailed previously:

Carefully removed hop bag with first addition of hops as they've been in there 10 days and I'm concerned about hop burn.

For the 2nd addition I added 10g of Wai-iti, Riwaka and Moutere and 15g of Citra.

For those keeping track, that's a total of 90 grams of hops over the two hop additions.

Another thing I noticed, I had my brew temp set for 21C but as soon as the Droid hit Dry Hop it dropped it to 16C.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

An update on the DDH NZ Hazy IPA for my brothers Birthday. 18 days end of fermentation.

Great flavour but poor head, love what those 3 hops have inparted to the beer.

But, and isnt there always a "but"... disappointing carbonation, probably which is impacting the head which was poor as well.

It pours well out of the tap so I know it has CO2 in the keg but doesn't seem to have absorbed much.

This is my 4l iKegger keg, would that have something to do with the carbonation issue?

20220121_162502.thumb.jpg.0d60896619c75843d92a07b150a29d21.jpg

Edited by Wazza_wantsbeer