The Hazy IPA

3 minutes ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

An update on the DDH NZ Hazy IPA for my brothers Birthday. 18 days end of fermentation.

Great flavour but poor head, love what those 3 hops have inparted to the beer.

But, and isnt there always a "but"... disappointing carbonation, probably which is impacting the head which was poor as well.

It pours well out of the tap so I know it has CO2 in the keg but doesn't seem to have absorbed much.

This is my 4l iKegger keg, would that have something to do with the carbonation issue?

20220121_162502.thumb.jpg.0d60896619c75843d92a07b150a29d21.jpg

Yes the mini kegs can be troublesome with carbonation, if on Co2 to carbonate at dispensing pressure, your 4l keg would probably need 4days. Reason, the iKeeger kegs due to there shape have a very small head space compared to Cornelius style kegs. 
Now if you carbonated over say the. days then 1) look at the glass, are they clean, and by just hot water and a clean unused cloth 2) was it the first pour out of the kegerator, if so then the warmth of the beer lines up  and tap can dissipate a lot of Co2, next pour should be better if not the glass. 3) pour a beer and look for the bubbles, a light behind helps, if bubbling continues as you would expect and the head goes flat then it tends to point to the glass. Excess hops can also cause this problem. However pour another beer.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

As a test, I've decided to detach the 4l keg from the kegerator lines and I've attached one of my iKegger mini regs with a sodastream bottle attached.

I've turned it up to 20 psi and will give it a couple of days and see how it goes.

May be stupid question but your doing this in the kegerator or a fridge

8 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Yes the mini kegs can be troublesome with carbonation, if on Co2 to carbonate at dispensing pressure, your 4l keg would probably need 4days. Reason, the iKeeger kegs due to there shape have a very small head space compared to Cornelius style kegs. 
Now if you carbonated over say the. days then 1) look at the glass, are they clean, and by just hot water and a clean unused cloth 2) was it the first pour out of the kegerator, if so then the warmth of the beer lines up  and tap can dissipate a lot of Co2, next pour should be better if not the glass. 3) pour a beer and look for the bubbles, a light behind helps, if bubbling continues as you would expect and the head goes flat then it tends to point to the glass. Excess hops can also cause this problem. However pour another beer.

Thanks for the quick reply @Captain 3 Droids

It's been on CO2 at 12 psi and 3°C in the kegerator for the full 18 days. Which has worked well with my 1/2 cornies and the iKegger 5l kegs.

However, it's the first time I've had this 4l iKegger on the kegerator gas and tap lines. In the past I've used the iKegger mini reg with sodastream gas bottle and iKegger tap directly attached which worked well.

1. Glass was clean. I cleaned it when doing the dishes. There were bubbles developing on the inside of the glass so maybe not clean enough.

2. Not first pour but first full pour. Haven't had an issue before with other beers. All have been well carbonated.

3. I'll try another pour after 2 days after giving the mini-reg @20psi a go.

Edited by Wazza_wantsbeer

1 minute ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

So with detergent and then rinsing ?

Yes, detergent then well rinsed.

I used to be one of those who thought it best to never use detergent on my beer glasses as I thought it ruined the head and carbonation but then someone pointed out that the pubs do just that, wash with detergent and rinse well.

And I rinse it well and then leave to air dry.

19 minutes ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

Yes, detergent then well rinsed.

I used to be one of those who thought it best to never use detergent on my beer glasses as I thought it ruined the head and carbonation but then someone pointed out that the pubs do just that, wash with detergent and rinse well.

And I rinse it well and then leave to air dry.

I’m sorry but I’m going to disagree and also believe pubs don’t use a home use type of detergent but something specially for glass and they rinse with basically boiling water. Unless completely removed detergent leaves a film, not good.

When it comes to cleaning bottles, kegs and glasses I’ve never had an issue by rinsing well with plain water as soon as consumed (even when I’ve had a few). This then doesn’t allow for the beer to dry therefore needing a proper clean with eg sodium carbonate soak. 
I have done this for years with no problems, but the rinse needs to be done straight away.

With the glasses, same, however every  4 to 6 weeks after consumption I give them a clean on the glass cleaning brush but just with after consumption again. No, not 258C54C9-9D77-4F95-8E4B-6B49A46C3ABD.thumb.jpeg.687a25a3f28ae65effdf833c1839a99f.jpegDF63EC55-AA81-4A12-982D-A2AEA49EF59C.thumb.jpeg.14abb79f7411f32c3dea3b6a17d4dd86.jpegwith a sanitiser, just water.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

On Monday, Lunar New Years Day, I finished my 4l iKegger keg of my 3B NZ DDH Hazy IPA brewed for my Brother's Birthday which is this coming Monday.

It was exactly 4 weeks, 28 days, post fermentation. I did not do a secondary fermentation for this as it went straight into the Keg and then Keg into the Kegerator so was on CO2 the whole time.

This pic is of the 2nd to last pour from the keg. Better head than that last post I made about it. The 2 days @ 20psi really helped with head formation and the bubbles were smaller and tighter which gives a much better mouth feel.

20220123_152049.thumb.jpg.aa75cc943442b69fa483de1b8091e0e6.jpg

In terms of flavour, bloody awesome but a little weak for my tastes at 6% ABV but that's what my Bro requested, 6-6.5%.

I have to say those NZ hops, Wai-iti, Riwaka and Moutere add quite a punch. Very citrus flavour and smell which is what I was aiming for as the Bro requested citrus forward flavour as well as some nice tropical fruit undertones.

I then tried the taster bottle which did go thru secondary fermentation using the BrewArt carb drops and I have to say, it was actually just that little bit better beer in my opinion. I'm thinking the extra .5% ABV helped but it seemed to have a bit more depth of flavour and that flavour lasted longer on the pallet.

Anyway, I delivered 8x 750ml bottles to him on Tuesday and he immediately put 2 in the fridge as tasters before his actual birthday. Haven't heard back from him yet so assuming he has had the will power to not open them yet.

Would I make this again, yes, but I would definitely go for the extra Element (E5) or Enhancer (X2) or two to bump up the alcohol percentage.

In fact, once I keg the All Inn Brewing NEIPA FWK today, I plan on getting another Hazy IPA in the Droid immediately after. I'll detail that brew in another post shortly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Brew No. 9

Finished kegging the All Inn NEIPA. Went much better this time after cleaning up that troublesome liquid post on the keg.

Into the Droid will be my next version of the Hazy IPA. This time it will be a Imperial Hazy IPA or Hazy IIPA or Double Hazy IPA, Hazy Double IPA... your choice of naming convention as there seems to be plenty of examples of each of these in the market.

So yes, I am going big, like 9% ABV big to definitely be a true Double Hazy IPA! I'm also going big on hops too with a total of 150 grams!

And Yes, I will prepare for the inevitable vigorous spewing 🤣  

I've also decided to reverse the normal ingredients list and that is to go with more X2 than E5. The reasoning for this is two fold:

Element E5 has hops added, presumably during the mash as a bittering agent and I don't want that

Enhancer X2 is Malted Barley and Wheat as it is the wheat that I am after for more body and mouth feel.

It should be noted that on the BrewArt website under Ingredients, the page for Enhancer X2 (https://brewart.com/au/store/ingredients/enhancers/enhancer-2) shows that it contains both Malted Barely and Wheat but I have just noticed on the packages of X2 it has only Malted Barely as the ingredient!

Hmmmmm... If that is the case, then that is definitely misleading advertising @BrewArt Team

Anyway, I digress... so I also plan to keg the lot into my new Kegland 9,5l half corny but will add two BrewArt Primers and leave this in a cool part of the apartment for 2 weeks for secondary fermentation. I could put it straight into the Kegerator as I have plenty of room but I want to see how this turns out using the primers.

To accomplish this, the plan is to do the usual deep clean of the keg using sodium percarbonate for 24 hours then rinse with water. The night before kegging I then sanitise with StellarSan and leave overnight. The next day, I will purge StellarSan solution out of the keg, open and shove the 2 primers in and close as quick as I can and, then fill with lots of CO2 and purge using the PRV before doing a closed transfer from Droid to Keg.

So the planned recipe is as follows:

Recipe v6 - Double Hazy IPA:

Ingredients: E5 (x3), X2 (x5), 250g dextrose, 2x BrewArt Primer

ABV: 9%

Yeast: Lallemand Lalbrew Verdant IPA - Ale Yeast

Hops: 50g each of Idaho-7, Amarillo and Galaxy

Brewing Program: Propagate: 22°C

Steped Fermentation: Start 19°C, day 2 20°C, day 4 21°C

Store: 4°C, Keg: 16°C, Dry Hop: Yes.

Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Updated Hazy IPA recipe list:

Recipe v1 - The Original

Ingredients: E5 (x3), X2 (x3)

ABV: 6-6.5%

Yeast: Y2

Hops: D6 (Citra), D7 (Galaxy) @25g each

Brewing Program: Propagate: 22°C, Ferment: 18°C, Store: 4°C, Keg: 18°C, Dry Hop: Yes.

Recipe v2 - Coopers Hazy IPA clone

Hops: Antanum, Strata @ 25g each 

Brewing Program: Propagate: 22°C, Ferment: 18°C, Store: 4°C, Keg: 18°C, Dry Hop: Yes.

Recipe v2.1

As above but with Antanum and Strata @ 50g each

Recipe v3 - C3Ds Hazy IPA

Hops: Sabro @40g and Idaho 7 @30g

Brewing Program: Propagate: 22°C, Ferment: 18°C, Store: 4°C, Keg: 18°C, Dry Hop: Yes.

Recipe v4 - DDH Hazy IPA

Ingredients: E5 (x4), X2 (x3)

ABV: 7-7.5%

Hops: Citra, Mosaic, Eclipse

1st Hop Addition at high krausen, 15g each Citra, Mosaic, Eclipse

2nd Hop Addition (at dry hop) 25g of Citra & Mosaic, 20g Eclipse

Recipe v5 – NZ DDH Hazy IPA

Hops: NZ Hops - Wai-iti, Riwaka and Moutere plus Citra

1st Hop Addition at high krausen - 15g Wai-iti, Riwaka and Moutere

2nd Hop Addition @Dry Hop - 10g Wai-iti, Riwaka and Moutere and 15g Citra

Brewing Program: Propagate: 22°C, Ferment: 20°C, Store: 4°C, Keg: 18°C, Dry Hop: Yes.

Ingredients: E5 (x3), X2 (x5), 250g Dextrose, 2x BrewArt Primer

Hops: @Dry Hop, 50g each of Idaho-7, Amarillo and Galaxy

Brewing Program: Propagate: 22°C, Store: 4°C, Keg: 16°C, Dry Hop: Yes.

Stepped Fermentation: 19°C, day 2 20°C, day 4 21°C

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Top recipe, only one question, will some stellar san be left in the keg due to length of dip tube/keg bottom recess for sediment? If so how much?

From when I had that issue with my liquid keg post that time, when I finally gave up on the closed transfer and just opened the lid of the keg, I did see there was a small amount of StellarSan solution left in the bottom of the keg, maybe like 100-125 ml at most if I had to guess.

From what I understand, it is no rinse and will not harm the beer or those drinking it and isn't that how everyone sanitises their kegs prior to doing a closed transfer or am I missing something?

2 minutes ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

From when I had that issue with my liquid keg post that time, when I finally gave up on the closed transfer and just opened the lid of the keg, I did see there was a small amount of StellarSan solution left in the bottom of the keg, maybe like 100-125 ml at most if I had to guess.

From what I understand, it is no rinse and will not harm the beer or those drinking it and isn't that how everyone sanitises their kegs prior to doing a closed transfer or am I missing something?

No it won’t hurt anybody however I do like to remove it. My preparation for closed transfer is to put some star or stellar san in the keg, seal with the lid, shake the keg up and down to cover the inside. I then add a “squirt” of Co2 and then use a beer disconnect with a bit of tubing so that the sanitiser runs out and sanitises the out/beer post.

I then release any pressure left in the keg, remove the lid and tip out any remaining sanitiser. I then replace the lid and give it a good boost of Co2. As Co2 is heavier than air if you leave for about 5 mins it will settle to the bottom where the end of the beer dip tube is.

Then for the closed transfer the pressure is firstly released and then proceed as normal. Once filled I purge the keg headspace. Never had an oxygen infection issue.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

No it won’t hurt anybody however I do like to remove it. My preparation for closed transfer is to put some star or stellar san in the keg, seal with the lid, shake the keg up and down to cover the inside. I then add a “squirt” of Co2 and then use a beer disconnect with a bit of tubing so that the sanitiser runs out and sanitises the out/beer post.

I then release any pressure left in the keg, remove the lid and tip out any remaining sanitiser. I then replace the lid and give it a good boost of Co2. As Co2 is heavier than air if you leave for about 5 mins it will settle to the bottom where the end of the beer dip tube is.

Then for the closed transfer the pressure is firstly released and then proceed as normal. Once filled I purge the keg headspace. Never had an oxygen infection issue.

That sounds good, will try that approach next time when I keg the Double Hazy IPA. Thanks for the advice as always @Captain 3 Droids

27 minutes ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

That sounds good, will try that approach next time when I keg the Double Hazy IPA. Thanks for the advice as always @Captain 3 Droids

Thanks, in fact my beer keg to keg connection for transfer is in two parts, joined by a push on connector when doing keg to keg transfers. So I use these as the tube (one after the other) to drain the keg I’ve put a bit of sanitiser in. You would use the tube/disconnect you use from the Droid to the keg.

This therefore not only sanitises the inside of the beer post but your transfer tubing and disconnect/s as well.

Edited by Captain 3 Droids
Clarify
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Thanks, in fact my beer keg to keg connection for transfer is in two parts, joined by a push on connector when doing keg to keg transfers. So I use these as the tube (one after the other) to drain the keg I’ve put a bit of sanitiser in. You would use the tube/disconnect you use from the Droid to the keg.

This therefore not only sanitises the inside of the beer post but your transfer tubing and disconnect/s as well.

Yes, I do the same or similar. I always purge the StellarSan solution shortly before starting the keggin process via the same connector (the iKegger one made specifically for connecting to the BrewArt Dry Hop Filter) that I use to transfer from Droid to Keg to make sure that the connector is sanitised as well as the tube. It also helps to expel O2 from the tube when trying to avoid O2 exposure via a closed transfer.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

Brew No. 9

Finished kegging the All Inn NEIPA. Went much better this time after cleaning up that troublesome liquid post on the keg.

Into the Droid will be my next version of the Hazy IPA. This time it will be a Imperial Hazy IPA or Hazy IIPA or Double Hazy IPA, Hazy Double IPA... your choice of naming convention as there seems to be plenty of examples of each of these in the market.

So yes, I am going big, like 9% ABV big to definitely be a true Double Hazy IPA! I'm also going big on hops too with a total of 150 grams!

And Yes, I will prepare for the inevitable vigorous spewing 🤣  

I've also decided to reverse the normal ingredients list and that is to go with more X2 than E5. The reasoning for this is two fold:

Element E5 has hops added, presumably during the mash as a bittering agent and I don't want that

Enhancer X2 is Malted Barley and Wheat as it is the wheat that I am after for more body and mouth feel.

It should be noted that on the BrewArt website under Ingredients, the page for Enhancer X2 (https://brewart.com/au/store/ingredients/enhancers/enhancer-2) shows that it contains both Malted Barely and Wheat but I have just noticed on the packages of X2 it has only Malted Barely as the ingredient!

Hmmmmm... If that is the case, then that is definitely misleading advertising @BrewArt Team

Anyway, I digress... so I also plan to keg the lot into my new Kegland 9,5l half corny but will add two BrewArt Primers and leave this in a cool part of the apartment for 2 weeks for secondary fermentation. I could put it straight into the Kegerator as I have plenty of room but I want to see how this turns out using the primers.

To accomplish this, the plan is to do the usual deep clean of the keg using sodium percarbonate for 24 hours then rinse with water. The night before kegging I then sanitise with StellarSan and leave overnight. The next day, I will purge StellarSan solution out of the keg, open and shove the 2 primers in and close as quick as I can and, then fill with lots of CO2 and purge using the PRV before doing a closed transfer from Droid to Keg.

So the planned recipe is as follows:

Ingredients: E5 (x3), X2 (x5), 250g dextrose, 2x BrewArt Primer

Hops: 50g each of Idaho-7, Amarillo and Galaxy

Brewing Program: Propagate: 22°C

Steped Fermentation: Start 19°C, day 2 20°C, day 4 21°C

Store: 4°C, Keg: 16°C, Dry Hop: Yes.

Got this one on now, took longer than expected due to a teleconference overrunning by like an hour and the Droid sanitiser sat in there for longer than the normal 2 hours, oh well, no harm, no foul.

Will be interesting to see when and how vigorous the expected spewing will be.

Cannot wait to try this one as I've been thinking how to do this for quite some time, mulling the recipe and such.

• Like 1

G 'Day @Wazza_wantsbeer,

The X2 definitely has wheat in it. It was recently brought to our attention  that the X2 was missing Wheat on the ingredients, so we pulled the labels and had them re-printed. 

You must be one of the lucky ones to have a super rare X2 label with no wheat listed. 

We're not misleading in any way, just a misprinted label, 

Cheers

48 minutes ago, BrewArt Team said:

G 'Day @Wazza_wantsbeer,

The X2 definitely has wheat in it. It was recently brought to our attention  that the X2 was missing Wheat on the ingredients, so we pulled the labels and had them re-printed. 

You must be one of the lucky ones to have a super rare X2 label with no wheat listed. 

Cheers

Great stuff, his rare X2 could have been worth thousands via the Antique Road Show 😁

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, BrewArt Team said:

G 'Day @Wazza_wantsbeer,

Cheers

Thanks for the response and clarifying this, much appreciated.

Apologies for the harsh wording, didn't mean to be so accusatory and think you would be misleading on purpose.

Appreciate all the great work by the small team there.

Super rare hey, well I have 7 packets of it so I should hold them and wait for them to appreciate in value?

😁

Cheers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 22/12/2021 at 10:23 PM, Captain 3 Droids said:

Hazy IPA in the droid tonight per recipe except for hops. Will be dry hopping on day 4 30g each of Idaho 7 and Sequoia. 

@Captain 3 Droids  how has this one turned out? Would think you have tasted this by now?

Very keen to hear your thoughts on the Sequoia hops as I had never heard of them until this post.

Thanks

11 minutes ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

@Captain 3 Droids  how has this one turned out? Would think you have tasted this by now?

Very keen to hear your thoughts on the Sequoia hops as I had never heard of them until this post.

Thanks

It’s in the fridge now and won’t be long before connection to the tap. The sequoia hops I found by accident, have used elsewhere and very impressed. Good match with Idaho 7

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

Thanks

I finished the London’s Own Ale so cracked the Hazy.

it’s absolutely delicious, the 30g ea of Sequoia and Idaho 7 are such a match and the flavour, fruity, tropical, semi sweetness with a slight bitterness in the after taste that is not harsh or lingers. Trouble is, this is a session brew, big worry for a Piss Head Sunday 🤭🙄😅

• Like 2

Updated Hazy IPA recipe list (#4):

Recipe v1 - The Original

Hops: D6 (Citra), D7 (Galaxy) @25g each

Recipe v2 - Coopers Hazy IPA clone

Hops: Antanum, Strata @ 25g each 

Brewing Program: Propagate: 22°C, Ferment: 18°C, Store: 4°C, Keg: 18°C, Dry Hop: Yes.

Recipe v2.1

As above but with Antanum and Strata @ 50g each

Recipe v3 - C3Ds Hazy IPA

Hops: Sabro @40g and Idaho 7 @30g

Recipe v4 - DDH Hazy IPA

Ingredients: E5 (x4), X2 (x3)

ABV: 7-7.5%

Hops: Citra, Mosaic, Eclipse

1st Hop Addition at high krausen, 15g each Citra, Mosaic, Eclipse

2nd Hop Addition (at dry hop) 25g of Citra & Mosaic, 20g Eclipse

Recipe v5 – NZ DDH Hazy IPA

ABV: 6-6.5%

Hops: NZ Hops - Wai-iti, Riwaka and Moutere plus Citra

1st Hop Addition at high krausen - 15g Wai-iti, Riwaka and Moutere

2nd Hop Addition @Dry Hop - 10g Wai-iti, Riwaka and Moutere and 15g Citra

Brewing Program: Propagate: 22°C, Ferment: 20°C, Store: 4°C, Keg: 18°C, Dry Hop: Yes.

Recipe v6 - C3D #2 Hazy IPA

Hops: @Dry Hop 30g each of Sequoia and Idaho 7

Recipe v7 - Double Hazy IPA:

Ingredients: E5 (x3), X2 (x5), 250g Dextrose, 2x BrewArt Primer

Hops: @Dry Hop, 50g each of Idaho-7, Amarillo and Galaxy

Brewing Program: Propagate: 22°C, Store: 4°C, Keg: 16°C, Dry Hop: Yes.

Stepped Fermentation: 19°C, day 2 20°C, day 4 21°C

• Thanks 2