Could This Be The Longest Thread Ever?

Rob Courtney

On 13/1/2022 at 9:00 PM, Rob Courtney said:

I have had a great idea about how to cut down on car polution and traffic jams...

If it isn't a manual, you aren't allowed to drive...removes 90% of cars off the road in one hit

What’s a traffic jam? Oh, yeah I live in Adelaide …

And yes, manual car here. Anything else is boring, although the wife’s latest generation DSG is pretty slick.

Doubt we’ll be able to get manual cars for much longer. Perhaps I better buy that 911 …

17 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

What’s a traffic jam? Oh, yeah I live in Adelaide …

And yes, manual car here. Anything else is boring, although the wife’s latest generation DSG is pretty slick.

Doubt we’ll be able to get manual cars for much longer. Perhaps I better buy that 911 …

I was reading an article a while back and it was talking of the demise of the manual gearbox and it was breaking down the sales of cars in Aus that still had the manual option and only 3% of those cars were bought with a manual transmission.

I mean, people can do what they want as it is their money but I remember when I got my licence...and it was learning in an automatic, trying to find an auto for sale without a 20% premium on it was impossible. It got to the stage where the old man just said, "lets take my car to a car park" back when shopping centres were closed on Saturday afternoons ...and don't get me ranting on that, and he taught me the manual gearbox in 20 mins and I've been hooked since then.

Funnily enough though, the car I learnt in was his V8 work commodore because back then, they'd stick a five speed on a V8...(dad worked for Holdens)

11 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Had my booster injection yesterday...such a sore arm, so very sore. Worst part is I've probably caught Covid and didn't know it before I got this booster...and I didn't take a day off...why don't I ntake days off anymore?

In lieu of my Droid brewing a brew that didn't work for a fortnight, I have drunk some of the Hollandias to space the brews out. There is certainly a difference between having a couple with a pizza and drinking them for a night.

I get it though, they are using "hops flavouring"," this is what we think Hallertau tastes like so we have done a copy of it in the lab". On the positive, it reminds me of why I went te Brewart route, so that's a plus

and now I am on the new day from those beers...never again. If I'm drinking outside of my collection it'll be Coopers of maybe one of those delightful cans that has the artwork done by some guy with schizophrenia who has just injested some mushroom that you guys post all the time :)

50 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

I was reading an article a while back and it was talking of the demise of the manual gearbox and it was breaking down the sales of cars in Aus that still had the manual option and only 3% of those cars were bought with a manual transmission.

I mean, people can do what they want as it is their money but I remember when I got my licence...and it was learning in an automatic, trying to find an auto for sale without a 20% premium on it was impossible. It got to the stage where the old man just said, "lets take my car to a car park" back when shopping centres were closed on Saturday afternoons ...and don't get me ranting on that, and he taught me the manual gearbox in 20 mins and I've been hooked since then.

Funnily enough though, the car I learnt in was his V8 work commodore because back then, they'd stick a five speed on a V8...(dad worked for Holdens)

Yep I had an “Auto” licence when starting out driving in Victoria and then commandeered a girlfriend’s manual car and taught myself in a supermarket car park.

All cars other than my Valiant have been manual since and the current ride is known  as the “poor man’s 911”. The handling is incredible and it’s fun to drive even on the 10 minute journey to work. The manual just tops it off.

As the manufacturer has indicated they wont be reviving the model I may have to hang on to it for a while longer before the inevitable EV.

54 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

and now I am on the new day from those beers...never again. If I'm drinking outside of my collection it'll be Coopers of maybe one of those delightful cans that has the artwork done by some guy with schizophrenia who has just injested some mushroom that you guys post all the time :)

If you recall when wine labels started getting trendy around 10 - 15 years ago then you will understand why there’s been an evolution with beer marketing too.

52 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Ford Focus with the muffler adaption that makes the "kachink wheeeeeeeeez" noise each time you change gears?

Haha no, I’m in my forties mate not twenties and needing to show off … and besides I can get my jollies at work turning fuel into noise and be paid for it.

Renault Megane RS. It’s like a big go kart and just sticks to the road.

Edited by Dustin Frothman
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Haha no, I’m in my forties mate not twenties and needing to show off … and besides I can get my jollies at work turning fuel into noise and be paid for it.

Renault Megane RS. It’s like a big go kart and just sticks to the road.

I've never understod the muffler adaption. I mean, I get why some people have the La Cucaracha air horn, it's funny...less funny each time but still.

The muffler adaption though, he can't think that (A) guys are going "what a sweet note that 2006 Holden Astra is making" or that (B) women are walking along thinking" listen to that, if he wants me, he can have me".

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

In lieu of my Droid brewing a brew that didn't work for a fortnight, I have drunk some of the Hollandias to space the brews out. There is certainly a difference between having a couple with a pizza and drinking them for a night.

I get it though, they are using "hops flavouring"," this is what we think Hallertau tastes like so we have done a copy of it in the lab". On the positive, it reminds me of why I went te Brewart route, so that's a plus

So I am having a Duetsch lager which I reckon is 4 weeks, it still needs some time but it is a huge upgrade on the Hollandia

• Upvote 3

Just now, Captain 3 Droids said:

As at 6am today (3/2/22) cannot log into BrewArt Droid app, states “can’t log in try later”

Is this the same for others or just me?

Same here mate. It's being reported on the Facebook page too.

Was going put a brew down today too.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Little bit stoked.

For the last coupe of years, I have wanted to try a FWK but they are all in Victoria...and Mexico has been out of bounds for a while. Being the weight they are, it is not viable to have one shipped and all the spots they were in Victoria...I could kinda have got one next time I was coming back from Melbourne.

So last night I typed in "Homebrew supplies in Portland" which is about an hours drive from me and up popped a hit....and they had FWKs on their website. Given I have a day off on April the 1st (or I don't and they acknowledged my request for a long weekend but will take it back closer to the day), I gave them a call today to see whether I had to order one in so I could pick one up and I was stoked to find out they always have them in stock.

So I said, "well, I'll be down on April 1 to pick up a lager as I'll come down from Mt G" and they said "no need to come down, pay over the phone, we do free delivery once a month up to where you live, next one is March the 28th"

.everythings coming up milhouse GIF

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So rang up the guys at All in Brewing and was able to chat to them about the wort I am getting. Good conversation about how to do it, what I am aiming for etc, will be very interested to see how this compares to a Brewprint. It will be a touch more expensive than a Brewprint and that is with the fact they have advised to not dry hop he first one as that will have it as close to what they sell at their brewery as possible...and then make an informed decision from there.

Trying the Kissaki Lager first up so will report my findings on this one

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

So rang up the guys at All in Brewing and was able to chat to them about the wort I am getting. Good conversation about how to do it, what I am aiming for etc, will be very interested to see how this compares to a Brewprint. It will be a touch more expensive than a Brewprint and that is with the fact they have advised to not dry hop he first one as that will have it as close to what they sell at their brewery as possible...and then make an informed decision from there.

Trying the Kissaki Lager first up so will report my findings on this one

I sense a disturbance in the force!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

I sense a disturbance in the force!

Maybe, the only other thing I have brewed is kit and kilo and that was just terrible. What I am most interested in is how does this stack up to a Brewprint? Pricewise it is competitive...with the yeasts and no hops it'll work out at $27.5 a ten litre, so it is in the ballpark but how does it drink. If it stacks up...great, if it doesn't, then I will stop scouring places to get FWKs because I know.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Maybe, the only other thing I have brewed is kit and kilo and that was just terrible. What I am most interested in is how does this stack up to a Brewprint? Pricewise it is competitive...with the yeasts and no hops it'll work out at $27.5 a ten litre, so it is in the ballpark but how does it drink. If it stacks up...great, if it doesn't, then I will stop scouring places to get FWKs because I know.

That sounds perfectly reasonable. It just seems strange that all of a sudden a few of the regulars here are begging to stray from the fold. Wazza’a basically left us completely, Paul and I have been dabbling with some grain brews, FWKs are on order for others etc.

Not that any of it really matters, but I do wonder if this is a sign that the BrewArt range needs a little tweaking? Surely there’s other customers outside our little echo chamber that would be doing similar.

Do any of the local craft breweries in Mt Gambier or Robe do FWKs that could save you some postage?

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

That sounds perfectly reasonable. It just seems strange that all of a sudden a few of the regulars here are begging to stray from the fold. Wazza’a basically left us completely, Paul and I have been dabbling with some grain brews, FWKs are on order for others etc.

Not that any of it really matters, but I do wonder if this is a sign that the BrewArt range needs a little tweaking? Surely there’s other customers outside our little echo chamber that would be doing similar.

Do any of the local craft breweries in Mt Gambier or Robe do FWKs that could save you some postage?

Nothing in the Mount and I'll be in Robe for the weekend next week so i will check but gut says no. Anyways, no postage issue because they do a free delivery once every six to eight weeks (sound familiar...) and I am still happy to order mainly Brewart with a FWK (if they stack up) once every couple of months.

As a lager (or Larger) drinker, I'm not sure the Brewart range needs a great deal of tweaking, there is a lot of choice, though I can see the benefits of bringinging new varities in and dropping some older varities (ales and stouts mainly). I look at my current order and I think 7 of the 16 I ordered were ales this time, so in my mind, I still have a lot to explore after 3 years.

I just think it is natural brewing evolution, it benefits you to try new things out and get an idea, how good yo have it sometimes

• Upvote 2

Yeah, I could see how someone who was not using Brewart would see the benefits and time savings although at a higher cost of going the FWK route. Some people though do love the involved process of boilig, mashing and adding 11 secret hebs, hops and spices to a brew to get an outcome. Myself, with kids at the age they are, any shortcuts I can get, I'll take, which is what makes the Brewart system perfect for me

• Upvote 1

One potential problem is if you only have one Droid, the retaining of the 7.5l for the next brew is not altogether easy. The initial cubes have had the oxygen removed but once open the wort is exposed. Now if you have an empty ss keg the balanced could be placed in that and purged with Co2.

However if not having that then I suggest using a few of the PET bottles, fill all the way up with the wort and cap. If the last one is short of a full bottle then add water to achieve the full bottle.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

One potential problem is if you only have one Droid, the retaining of the 7.5l for the next brew is not altogether easy. The initial cubes have had the oxygen removed but once open the wort is exposed. Now if you have an empty ss keg the balanced could be placed in that and purged with Co2.

However if not having that then I suggest using a few of the PET bottles, fill all the way up with the wort and cap. If the last one is short of a full bottle then add water to achieve the full bottle.

When I was talking to the guys from All in Brewing yesterday, I did ask about whether I could put the cap on and brew the second one later and it was a pretty strong no, so luckily, having 2 droids, I am in a good position to do it.

Good advice to get around it though

Edited by Rob Courtney
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1