Could This Be The Longest Thread Ever?

Rob Courtney

On 31/07/2021 at 6:39 PM, Rob Courtney said:

So, this happened on my parents in laws farm on Thursday, so I said I'd help them today.

9-5, chainsaws, taractor forklifts, trailers of wood to be loaded, pallets of wood loaded.

My workmate locked at this pick and suggested we should chop the wood for firewood, I looked at her as dismissively as I could, they're farmers, what the hell did she think was going to happen to a gum tree that has been blown over?

Anyways, just had a Bohemian lager which has helped with the pain, some of the "thinly sliced" pieces of the trunk weighed about 100kgs which was a riot to be moved by a 50 year old and a 70 year old man. Times like this I wish my boy was 16 and not 6...

IMG_0669 (1).jpg

So my Parents in law have gone to Queensland for a month and today I went over to the farm to give the cow some hay and upset the chooks who thought that they should be out and about and as I get to the top of the driveway...

I have already texted them with "do any of your trees actually stay up?" Guess my Saturday is planned now

IMG_0600.jpg

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Bless Father’s Day, received a Mangrove Jack’s Irish Red pouch with 1.2kg of liquid light malt. Included yeast M15 and Golding hops. I mixed up the ingredients and split into 2 Droids that were kegged and idle within a day of each other. Split the yeast and will dry hop on day 4 as fermentation eases.

You got a beer making kit...I got a leaf blower...which I think is code for get out of the house so we can have some peace and quiet

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rob Courtney said:

You got a beer making kit...I got a leaf blower...which I think is code for get out of the house so we can have some peace and quiet

The One Where Estelle Dies Episode 15 GIF by Friends

Just start using the blower for general tasks around the house.

You know, really obnoxious things like sweeping the kitchen floor, dusting, and drying the wife’s hair.

Keep that up for long enough and they’ll return it and buy you a beer kit.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

I’m a quite drinker? It’s utube music clips on tv that’s loud. (thank heavens for the good women’s long baths/book reading)

Yeah I think it's just because I live with three "Bohemians" who I have to micro manage to keep the house respectable ( which is funny in the sense my Ma almost died when she found out I was the one keeping the house tidy..."That untidy fekker")

So I think it's a case of 'let give him something to do outside so we can sloth" approach to fathers day

57 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

The One Where Estelle Dies Episode 15 GIF by Friends

Just start using the blower for general tasks around the house.

You know, really obnoxious things like sweeping the kitchen floor, dusting, and drying the wife’s hair.

Keep that up for long enough and they’ll return it and buy you a beer kit.

sweep, dust?

The best money i spend all week is for the cleaner

34 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Yeah I’ve heard a few people say that …

I figure I’d rather have the $5k or thereabouts to spend on more interesting stuff.

Each to their own.

5k????

Haven't got Jennifer Aniston cleaning the house mate, though if she was...I'd have a few sickies on the Friday to be honest

2 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

3 hours a week at $30ish /hr

All the cleaners I see advertised are around the $100 per visit minimum charge.

Ouch.

To be honest, all I want done is the mopping, dusting, bathroom and that is 1.5 hours a week. If someone was quoting 3 hours...and I do have a  pretty large house ( not ridiculous Mcmansion large but decent), I'd want my windows cleaned each fortnight (inside and out) and the other fortnight have my fridge, oven, dishwasher and washing machine cleaned out.

I mean I get it, for 2-3k ( or in your example 5k), you could have a dozen seriously good bottles of red, or a weekend to NZ (when we could) on the ski fields, rent a box at the MCG for a footy game with mates etc etc, there are many things to spend money on but when I come home on a Friday and the house is spotless and smells like a hospital ward and i know the only thing i have to do is have a couple of chip rolls and crack a beer, it is money well spent for me 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Ouch.

To be honest, all I want done is the mopping, dusting, bathroom and that is 1.5 hours a week. If someone was quoting 3 hours...and I do have a  pretty large house ( not ridiculous Mcmansion large but decent), I'd want my windows cleaned each fortnight (inside and out) and the other fortnight have my fridge, oven, dishwasher and washing machine cleaned out.

I mean I get it, for 2-3k ( or in your example 5k), you could have a dozen seriously good bottles of red, or a weekend to NZ (when we could) on the ski fields, rent a box at the MCG for a footy game with mates etc etc, there are many things to spend money on but when I come home on a Friday and the house is spotless and smells like a hospital ward and i know the only thing i have to do is have a couple of chip rolls and crack a beer, it is money well spent for me 

I’m not casting any judgement on anyone that chooses to employ a cleaner. I think it’s great and I wish I had one too. My wife has always been allergic to cleaning so I’m usually lumped with the majority of it. It’s the most fought over topic in our home.

I hear you. I’d love to end the week in a clean house with nothing left to do. I’ve just never been able to justify spending the cash so instead do it all myself, reluctantly!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

I’m not casting any judgement on anyone that chooses to employ a cleaner. I think it’s great and I wish I had one too. My wife has always been allergic to cleaning so I’m usually lumped with the majority of it. It’s the most fought over topic in our home.

I hear you. I’d love to end the week in a clean house with nothing left to do. I’ve just never been able to justify spending the cash so instead do it all myself, reluctantly!

At $100 a week, I'd flinch too.

One of the great things of being rural is stuff like that is a lot cheaper

• Upvote 1

Did a pretty good job on this today, beers going down well tonight. Sad to say though, picked up a log to carry it down to the woodpile, not sure how heavy (it was heavy) but I got it up on my shoulder and started walking.

Could not make it the 70-100 metres, tried to push through but couldn't. Today, I am officially old and I am not pleased about it one bit. Soon guys in their 20s will be able to run faster than me, it's just depressing. Stupid old age has reared it head in my early 50s

IMG_0604.jpg

6 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Did a pretty good job on this today, beers going down well tonight. Sad to say though, picked up a log to carry it down to the woodpile, not sure how heavy (it was heavy) but I got it up on my shoulder and started walking.

Could not make it the 70-100 metres, tried to push through but couldn't. Today, I am officially old and I am not pleased about it one bit. Soon guys in their 20s will be able to run faster than me, it's just depressing. Stupid old age has reared it head in my early 50s

IMG_0604.jpg

Your so right, you mentally think your a lot younger but don’t connect that to the physical capabilities. In time you must learn and accept “I can’t do that no more” or “don’t do as much and slower”.

Ugggh, so the cafe I went to tonight for dinner does it's own beers "Little Rippa" not bad, when I go I usually get an imperial pint of Pale Ale, last time I got an XPA.

Tonight I saw a sign that said "Jug of XPA, $20" and i thought, come close to three pints, 8 a pint, save meself $4...even if the wife sees it as me being the town alcoholic".

So the girl comes over with the jug and says " are you sure it is just oe glass with this jug?"...bloody alco shaming me.

She puts down the jug and it is brim to the top...this ain't the Exeter where they fill to the minimum...5 pints, touch of head on a couple of pours, happy to call it 4 and a bit but what a session. XPA not as good as a Brewprint but not a bad effort for a commercal enterprise :)

• Haha 1

On 17/09/2021 at 8:56 PM, Rob Courtney said:

Ugggh, so the cafe I went to tonight for dinner does it's own beers "Little Rippa" not bad, when I go I usually get an imperial pint of Pale Ale, last time I got an XPA.

I looked them up. That’s a nice little setup they have and some good looking beers.

Shocker of a brand name though. 🥴

• Haha 1

Last Wednesday when to a local pub for lunch with the good woman and ran a tab for meals and drinks. Now I had 3 pints (South Australia 425ml) of Little Creatures Rogers. When I got the bill I was some what shocked to say the least. Those pints were $10.20 each! 🤬
I’m not a sting but for heaven sake it doesn’t encourage pub drinking. I now know why we were given a bottle of water and glasses at the beginning.

Ps my meal was only $22, perhaps next time I’ll miss the meal and have 2 pints 😊

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I just can’t accept Australia post (billion + profits) total inefficiency in parcel delivery despite the millions spent on sorting/handling upgrades in Brisbane and Melbourne (not sure about Sydney. They continually blame the coronavirus for delivery delays however with their modern technology and bar coding it’s the separation of goods that is totally bewildering.

BrewArt prepared 2 boxes, 2 boxes picked up by Australia Post, 2 boxes booked in at Brisbane facility, 2 boxes notified in transit to Adelaide facility. Notification 2 boxes booked in at Sydney facility. Now all this notification has the 2 boxes together, sensible and as it should be.

Yesterday notification for delivery (which happened) of 1 box! The other box is still today recorded as being in Sydney (as at last Saturday) for transit to Adelaide facility!

Not the first time and more profit could be made with just the one delivery. No wonder people are pee-ed off with Australia Post poor services.

Well that’s off my chest, now just wait as usual.

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

I just can’t accept Australia post (billion + profits) total inefficiency in parcel delivery despite the millions spent on sorting/handling upgrades in Brisbane and Melbourne (not sure about Sydney. They continually blame the coronavirus for delivery delays however with their modern technology and bar coding it’s the separation of goods that is totally bewildering.

BrewArt prepared 2 boxes, 2 boxes picked up by Australia Post, 2 boxes booked in at Brisbane facility, 2 boxes notified in transit to Adelaide facility. Notification 2 boxes booked in at Sydney facility. Now all this notification has the 2 boxes together, sensible and as it should be.

Yesterday notification for delivery (which happened) of 1 box! The other box is still today recorded as being in Sydney (as at last Saturday) for transit to Adelaide facility!

Not the first time and more profit could be made with just the one delivery. No wonder people are pee-ed off with Australia Post poor services.

Well that’s off my chest, now just wait as usual.

Yeah they are frustrating.

Direct Freight are fun to deal with too but for the sake of my sanity I won't go there ...

• Upvote 1