Could This Be The Longest Thread Ever?

Rob Courtney

• 2 weeks later...

@Dustin Frothman

I know you love your coffee and you recent 11.30am first one for the day at the Adelaide Airport was a bit late.

Out of interest-

I have a De’Longhi auto Magnifica S machine which hasn’t lost a beat in over 4 years. I’m up early 365 days a year and at that time have 2 espressos, a double hit long black and a double hit short black, both no sugar. They are the only coffees for the day.

I used to get blends from the Central Market roasting store however for a number of years now via eBay I buy 3 x 1kg bags of double roast Espresso strong dark roast from Sicilian at Pooraka. Excellent strong brew and only $5 delivery.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

@Dustin Frothman

I know you love your coffee and you recent 11.30am first one for the day at the Adelaide Airport was a bit late.

Out of interest-

I have a De’Longhi auto Magnifica S machine which hasn’t lost a beat in over 4 years. I’m up early 365 days a year and at that time have 2 espressos, a double hit long black and a double hit short black, both no sugar. They are the only coffees for the day.

I used to get blends from the Central Market roasting store however for a number of years now via eBay I buy 3 x 1kg bags of double roast Espresso strong dark roast from Sicilian at Pooraka. Excellent strong brew and only $5 delivery.

I buy my coffee from Dawn Patrol at Chandlers Hill. Single origin, single farm lots and ethically sourced at $64 /kg delivered free.

I have the Breville Dual Boiler machine paired with a Baratza Sette 270wi grinder. The machine is the best dual boiler entry level option going without moving up to the $5000 models. I was fortunate when I bought it about 6 years ago that a friend’s wife was a demonstrator for Breville and I got it at staff prices. I’ve replaced a few parts  over the years but the chassis is mostly aluminium and plastic so it won’t last forever. 

I replaced the Breville Smart Grinder with the Baratza as it’s a brilliant machine, however the gearbox died a couple of weeks  ago and I thought it was stuffed. Thankfully I just got an email from 5 Senses in Melbourne to say it was repaired under warranty and being shipped back to me so that’s a welcome Christmas present.

I’m similar to you - 2 double espressos a day. No sugar. I only buy coffee at work if desperate and I haven’t had a chance to get one.

• Like 1

I’ll search your coffee supply, if it’s tops I don’t mind paying the money.One if the great things with my machine, it grinds, it tamps, makes coffee and then self cleans.

Are we spoilt? I did have a Krupp unit, good but seperate grind and self tamping & cleaning pissed me off so when it packed up I wasn’t that sad.

• Like 1

Righto, in the hotel room now after the drive up. I honestly thought I’d brought up 5 longnecks of Czech and 1 of Bavarian…was thinking in the car that I probably should have mixed it up a bit. Pulled the beers out of the bag…and it is a mixed bag, so there is something for packing the beer’s last thing at night when you are stuffed

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Was that “drunk Rob” 😂

Nope, that was just super tired, really angry that someone became a close contact which meant I then had to cancel my day off and work...Rob.

Nothing more fun than facing a 4.5 hour drive after work, still, I slept well after the Lawnmower last night. 

I also got to play Sherlock Holmes at work yesterday, so it wasn't all bad ;) 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

12 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Must be tired, only drank 2 Czech pilsners and A S&W pacific….all bang on though so a good day had with good people 

I tried a few Mr Banks DDH Hazy IPAs courtesy of my BIL on Christmas Eve. As well as a couple of 4 Pines Pales that the FIL had in the fridge, which to be fair to him were not all that bad.

I only had one beer yesterday on the flight back home … a 150 Lashes from a plastic cup. Rubbish.

Looking forward to a few beers at home once work is done today and the next all grain brew day is planned for my days off later this week.

• Upvote 1

On 24/12/2021 at 3:02 PM, Captain 3 Droids said:

I’ll search your coffee supply, if it’s tops I don’t mind paying the money.One if the great things with my machine, it grinds, it tamps, makes coffee and then self cleans.

Are we spoilt? I did have a Krupp unit, good but seperate grind and self tamping & cleaning pissed me off so when it packed up I wasn’t that sad.

F8F422CA-1010-4C8C-8F61-BEB3AADC8E7B.thumb.jpeg.0ddf35f32fdedd0bc151ed6e34cf6fb0.jpeg

I did a barista short course a few years back so am not too bad at preparing a shot manually and quite enjoy the process and routine.

Thats my little (temporary) setup. The Breville Smart Grinder looks good but is rubbish and grinds clumpy coffee … very slowly. I can’t wait to get my Baratza grinder back from the service, though it’s so loud I reckon my wife and the neighbours are enjoying the break.

My neighbour said the other day he could hear me making coffee … I feel bad now as I’m often doing that at 3:30am. 

I can highly recommend the Fellows vacuum seal coffee canisters for keeping beans fresh. A 1kg bag lasts me almost 4 weeks and the beans stay fresh throughout their storage life.

https://dawnpatrolcoffee.com.au if you’re interested.

Cheers!

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Dustin Frothman said:

I tried a few Mr Banks DDH Hazy IPAs courtesy of my BIL on Christmas Eve. As well as a couple of 4 Pines Pales that the FIL had in the fridge, which to be fair to him were not all that bad.

I only had one beer yesterday on the flight back home … a 150 Lashes from a plastic cup. Rubbish.

Looking forward to a few beers at home once work is done today and the next all grain brew day is planned for my days off later this week.

I haven't had that one but I had the Squire "Broken Shackles" beer, which has, in its profile, Saaz hops and quite frankly was crap...and that is putting it as nicely as I can, it was just a poor effort at a pilsner.

On 24/12/2021 at 1:18 PM, Captain 3 Droids said:

@Dustin Frothman

Out of interest-

Have the same unit, on weekdays I have a triple shot short black but on a Saturday I like a flat whilte but only will use hunt and brew milk due to its higher fat content, goes nicely with a bacon sandwhich or two (usually two)

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had my booster injection yesterday...such a sore arm, so very sore. Worst part is I've probably caught Covid and didn't know it before I got this booster...and I didn't take a day off...why don't I ntake days off anymore?

In lieu of my Droid brewing a brew that didn't work for a fortnight, I have drunk some of the Hollandias to space the brews out. There is certainly a difference between having a couple with a pizza and drinking them for a night.

I get it though, they are using "hops flavouring"," this is what we think Hallertau tastes like so we have done a copy of it in the lab". On the positive, it reminds me of why I went te Brewart route, so that's a plus

• Upvote 1