IPA into IIPA

From what I can gather, the X5 is something like straight dextrose. The flavour changes should only be due to high ABV.

Duffman is right, each pouch will give you 1% increase in ABV.

If you aren't looking to alter the malt or colour characteristics as well, you are on the right track.

Would be interested in knowing how the brew turns out for you.

From what I understand everything is increased. More Hops, more alcohol, more malt.

What % are you targeting?

Its already at 7.5%, so doing one extra each of the enhancers would give another 3%. Do two each and you are at 13%. The E2 would have the sweeter malt profile of the three used. As mentioned before X5 will just bump up ABV.

Not sure what alcohol % the brewing yeast can handle, but I have read you need particular strains to push it much further. 

Had a can of beer that was around 12% or so. Tasted like medicine ? 

Hope you get your mix right :D

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 8:56 AM, Derren Green said:

Hello Community,

22 hours ago, Dean Buchanan said:

Would aim for between 9 - 10 % & extra hoppy so was thinking I could double the hops & add two pouches of X5 to the brewprint to bump up the ABV

maybe I should contact the guys at BrewArt for some guidance 

I like what your thinking there and I agree with what you have come up with. maybe consider a hop tea as apposed to doubling the Brewart hops.

I think a phone call to the Brewart team would be very well received as they are definitely encouraging us to explore and experiment. 

Please keep us informed.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am looking to do a double IPA as well. One of my favourites is Pliny the Elder and there are a lot of full grain clones available:

http://beersmithrecipes.com/searchrecipe?term=pliny&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2015/10/pliny-elder-40.html

Would a beer this style even be possible using our malt extract and enhancers? 

Hop wise I am thinking dry hoping should be fairly simple by taking one of the recipes and dividing it down to 10l.

From what I remember of Pliny the Elder is it is much lighter  in colour then IPAs here but with a ton of bitterness, more similar to the West Coast Pale Ale then Mountain IPA from the BrewPrints. Also I did like the Mountain IPA, but on occasion found the hops to have a slightly metallic taste.

So I was thinking of starting with the West Coast Pale ale 

• 3x E1
  • 1x E2
  • 1x E5

and bringing in more malt and extract:

• 2 x E1
  • 1 x E2

So total recipe:

• 5x E1
  • 2x E2
  • 1x E5

In terms of hopping I made this calculations:

Dry Hop 1
Simcoe    12.48g
Cascade  10.40g
CTZ          6.24g

Dry Hop 2
Simcoe   12.48g
Cascade  9.36g
Amarillo 4.49g
CTZ         4.49g

This will be my first custom and dry hopped brew, but I have done heaps of prints.

What do you guys think?

It's funny you mention the metallic taste. My first 2 week bottle (still very green) had a metallic or chemical taste and I couldn't put my finger on it.  4 weeks later and that taste has gone but not hoppy enough. I'm happy with the 7.5 abv but need a hoppier hit. I was wondering if the addition of a pouch or 2 of x5 would change the taste at all? 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The double IPA recipe above turned out great. Dangerous after a couple though ?

Hops were beautiful, my only gripe was it was the base was a little too dark and malty for a west coast style double IPA. So I am going to wind back the E2s and substitute in some E5s

• 5x E1
  • 3x E5

I'll dry hop the same.

I also made a batch of a West Coast IPA, but dry hopped it similar to above (but just a single dry hop) and it was one of my favourites yet. Good session IPA.

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...
On 5/1/2017 at 4:26 PM, Gavin Condon said:

I am looking to do a double IPA as well. One of my favourites is Pliny the Elder and there are a lot of full grain clones available:

http://beersmithrecipes.com/searchrecipe?term=pliny&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2015/10/pliny-elder-40.html

Would a beer this style even be possible using our malt extract and enhancers? 

Hop wise I am thinking dry hoping should be fairly simple by taking one of the recipes and dividing it down to 10l.

From what I remember of Pliny the Elder is it is much lighter  in colour then IPAs here but with a ton of bitterness, more similar to the West Coast Pale Ale then Mountain IPA from the BrewPrints. Also I did like the Mountain IPA, but on occasion found the hops to have a slightly metallic taste.

So I was thinking of starting with the West Coast Pale ale 

• 3x E1
  • 1x E2
  • 1x E5

and bringing in more malt and extract:

• 2 x E1
  • 1 x E2

So total recipe:

• 5x E1
  • 2x E2
  • 1x E5

In terms of hopping I made this calculations:

Dry Hop 1
Simcoe    12.48g
Cascade  10.40g
CTZ          6.24g

Dry Hop 2
Simcoe   12.48g
Cascade  9.36g
Amarillo 4.49g
CTZ         4.49g

This will be my first custom and dry hopped brew, but I have done heaps of prints.

What do you guys think?

Hey Gavin,

When did you add dry hop 1 and dry hop 2 and for how long? Also did you cold crash or keep it cloudy?

Cheers

• 3 years later...

Ive just done a IIPa (The Voyager —from the Cooper’s DIY website)  It tasted amazing out of the droid, and I’m certain it will be something special once it’s conditioned.

Basically, the recipe for a droid is 1/2 can of Brew A (American Pale Ale Brewprint?) and 1/2 can of Preachers Hefe (German Weissbier Brewprint?) adding 2X1’s then DH with Mosaic Simple and Centennial…

Trying to recreate the base:

I reckon

E1

E2

3 E5

4 X1

4 X2

Y1

but then I’m realising that is going to push the ABV way too high for an IIPA?

I’m finding DH total should be around 150-200g MAX to avoid soapy unpleasantness

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, J P said:

Ive just done a IIPa (The Voyager —from the Cooper’s DIY website)  It tasted amazing out of the droid, and I’m certain it will be something special once it’s conditioned.

Basically, the recipe for a droid is 1/2 can of Brew A (American Pale Ale Brewprint?) and 1/2 can of Preachers Hefe (German Weissbier Brewprint?) adding 2X1’s then DH with Mosaic Simple and Centennial…

Trying to recreate the base:

I reckon

E1

E2

3 E5

4 X1

4 X2

Y1

but then I’m realising that is going to push the ABV way too high for an IIPA?

I’m finding DH total should be around 150-200g MAX to avoid soapy unpleasantness

Is it worth just trying to grab those cans instead?

I dropped into the local Country Brewer yesterday to grab a few things and noticed they had them. Otherwise you could always grab online from Coopers as its free postage with 4 cans.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

yeah mate my first round was with the cans…. I was trying to “translate “ into dry ingredients which is likely not an exact science, especially considering my state of mind! 😉

it shows real promise… 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 20/03/2022 at 4:02 PM, J P said:

yeah mate my first round was with the cans…. I was trying to “translate “ into dry ingredients which is likely not an exact science, especially considering my state of mind! 😉

it shows real promise… 

This one at 8 weeks is AWESOME!!!

as good as any high priced crafty!

a bit of sweetness rounds out the bitterness and hops intensity are amazing

(simple above was Simcoe, sorry)

I highly recommend this one.   I'd prefer to use dry ingredients from coopers rather than the cans of syrup (this recipe takes two droids full, and transferring syrup can be a real pain)

• Upvote 1