13 hours ago, Alan Batchelor said:

@BrewArt Team Just one question. Is there the ability to clean the filter if it starts to get full during bottling. I assume simply turn off tap, remove, clean, sanitize and continue. But just checking.

Thanks Alan

I pushed it pretty hard during testing and only had a couple of blockages, and it is as easy as you described. Turn off the tap, remove filter rinse with water (or better yet starsan) reattach and keep filling. 
If doing it mid keg on your second keg you may need to start the beer flow with an upright Keg, then flip it back upside down once the flow has started.  

22 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

“We've been working on the Dry Hop Filter for a long time, so it's nice to finally have released it. The new Firmware update will ensure there's no guess work. It'll advise you to Dry Hop as fermentation is tapering off, then it will automatically cold crash for you, and let you know when it's done. It will make things a lot easier.”

I thought this might be the case as it would seem some extra time is being added (as with liquid hops if bottling, leave for 24hrs after fermentation has been completed.) Personally not sure about the cold crashing, down to  ? degrees then back up to 18C to keg/ bottle. Have one going now with the new dry hop program so will check out.

Hey @Barrelboy 

If you're Kegging into stainless and force carbonating then you can keep the beer in Storage/Cold Crash after it's finished, just push the Storage button when it's trying to move to Keg Mode.

If you're Bottling/Kegging in the BrewFlo then you need to go through Secondary Fermentation, and we recommend moving it back up to Kegging temps.

Cheers

18 minutes ago, BrewArt Team said:

Hey @Barrelboy 

If you're Kegging into stainless and force carbonating then you can keep the beer in Storage/Cold Crash after it's finished, just push the Storage button when it's trying to move to Keg Mode.

If you're Bottling/Kegging in the BrewFlo then you need to go through Secondary Fermentation, and we recommend moving it back up to Kegging temps.

Cheers

Thanks for the responses, appreciated. Your recommendation with the stainless and force carbonation makes a lot of sense and the keg can then be stored to mature and until needed.

6 hours ago, BrewArt Team said:

Yes, the BeerDroid will automatically cold crash to clear the hops. 
Without the Cold Crash the hops are still suspended and will clog your filter constantly. This will add some time to the brewing process, but good beer takes time :)

As for Saaz and Hallertau, I don't think we will bring them out in the DH range anytime soon. Personally I think the oils do a great job at making Lagers with the subtle herbal/spice aromas, but they weren't able to get the big 'New World' flavours/aromas.

Fair enough

Let the fun begin. Filter and Bottling adapter has arrived. I also got some dry hops sachets to see how much is required. I have big bags but was never really sure of how much. I can use the BrewArt bags to give me a better idea. Sorry BrewArt guys maybe the price will come down but a large resealable is a lot more cost effective. On a side note I think I have seriously over hopped if there is such a thing 🤪

Can’t wait to start. I have the Highlands IPA going from ingredients I previously purchased. I update the Driod firmware and started from the app. I hope it tells me when to add dry hops. Worse case I have the liquid if it doesn’t.  But I think it will because Saw the highlands had an update for Dry hops. Fingers crossed.

Can’t wait..

Alan

6349FD53-78EF-4155-A509-ED5143782388.jpeg

• Like 1

Dang it wasn’t the highlands It was the lawn mower lager I bottled a few weeks back. 

Maybe I can wing it by adding near EOF and then cold crash it for 48 hours manually.

@Barrelboy Mark you like this beer. What do you think use the liquid or attempt to dry hop. 

I could do both I Suppose, use liquid for this batch and run a new brew next time. I have plenty of ingredients and options for Dry hopping. Might make an interesting comparison. 

Alan

48 minutes ago, Alan Batchelor said:

Dang it wasn’t the highlands It was the lawn mower lager I bottled a few weeks back. 

Maybe I can wing it by adding near EOF and then cold crash it for 48 hours manually.

@Barrelboy Mark you like this beer. What do you think use the liquid or attempt to dry hop. 

I could do both I Suppose, use liquid for this batch and run a new brew next time. I have plenty of ingredients and options for Dry hopping. Might make an interesting comparison. 

Alan

If you haven’t used the custom mode and turned the dry hop feature to on then I’d use the liquid hop sachets for this brew. If you did, use the dry hop sachets when told to which have been set at 25g. 

Mark, I think starting any new brewprint that requires dry hops will tell you now because all brewprints go in as custom. Unfortunately my mistake was thinking the highlands IPA was one of the changes. I will see how I feel and decide which way to go but I think you’re right this time I should leave it as liquid hops. 

Alan

• Upvote 1

Having been experimenting with modifying Brewprint recipes to include dry hopping (complete with clogged bottle fillers, switched to stocking-derived bags weighted with marbles) for a while, I ordered my filter, bottle adapter and a whole bunch of ingredients (including hops) the day the email hit my inbox.

In my haste of course, I ordered Y4 instead of Y1 yeasts but @Barrelboy reckons I should go for it anyway.

My firmware is upgraded and I'm going to give one of my favorites, Mountain IPA a go on the dry hop variant (albeit with Y4).  I'm looking forward to some punchier hop flavors and some better head retention!

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Alan Batchelor said:

Hi DCM, I used Muslin bags but let float but I’m pretty sure I over hopped. Looking forward to doing the first  brew with dry hops and filters.

Alan

There's such a thing as over-hopping? 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, dcm said:

Mmm...  11 days into fermentation and STILL fermenting.  That's a bit of a record for me with mountain IPA.  Haven't had any messages to dry hop as yet.  I hope all is well.

Unfortunately for this brew you won't receive a notification to dry hop. There was a bug on the Brewart server side that has affected any dry hop BrewPrint commenced prior to 24/08. There is a post on the Facebook group detailing this and a resolution.

According to Brewart support the issue has been resolved and any dry hop Brewprints started using the app from now on will work as expected.

Hi all, I read also that the dry hops notification was not being communicated to the app and solution is 48 hours in keg and 48 hours in storage after EOF. But after reading many users that thought it is taking longer than normal could it be the process is working correctly just no notification. The idea behind the dry hopping will mean extra time. I get the feeling the extra time is there already. I have a lawnmower lager running right now. It was around 8days. I have a feeling it will 10 to 11 days. EOF + 2 days.. this means it could 11 days + 4 more.. I am really tempted to dump dry hops in at day 6 and then storage for 48 after EOF.

just a thought.

~Alan 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Alan Batchelor said:

Hi all, I read also that the dry hops notification was not being communicated to the app and solution is 48 hours in keg and 48 hours in storage after EOF. But after reading many users that thought it is taking longer than normal could it be the process is working correctly just no notification. The idea behind the dry hopping will mean extra time. I get the feeling the extra time is there already. I have a lawnmower lager running right now. It was around 8days. I have a feeling it will 10 to 11 days. EOF + 2 days.. this means it could 11 days + 4 more.. I am really tempted to dump dry hops in at day 6 and then storage for 48 after EOF.

just a thought.

~Alan 

You can certainly do that. Is the BrewArt problem recent as I had the dry option advice work on a brew a week+ back?

2 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

Have you a hydrometer? I’d wait for the 14 day mark and if no EOF up to then, hydro test? 

Yep, not so worried about EOF just yet, I have had brews run on a little before and suspect yeast.  I'm more concerned that I've missed some milestones for dry hopping.  I just sat back and awaited the app to ask me to do something.  By day 11, I thought I would have been throwing in some hops.

26 minutes ago, dcm said:

Yep, not so worried about EOF just yet, I have had brews run on a little before and suspect yeast.  I'm more concerned that I've missed some milestones for dry hopping.  I just sat back and awaited the app to ask me to do something.  By day 11, I thought I would have been throwing in some hops.

Yes I’d put them in.

14 hours ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Unfortunately for this brew you won't receive a notification to dry hop. There was a bug on the Brewart server side that has affected any dry hop BrewPrint commenced prior to 24/08. There is a post on the Facebook group detailing this and a resolution.

According to Brewart support the issue has been resolved and any dry hop Brewprints started using the app from now on will work as expected.

Ok, Brewart helped me out on this.  It is true.  For a short while, brews weren't getting flagged as "dry hop".  The resolution is to throw in the dry hops at EOF then wait 48 hours until the 'droid automatically pulls the brew down to storage temperature and then leave it at storage temperature for another 48 hours before kegging/bottling.  Apparently this will auto-magically fix for my next brew.

They can also see what's happening on the fermentation front on my 'droid, presumably they can see more data than I can.  The fermentation is winding down normally and I should see EOF in a day or two so it was just a bit of a slow burn yeast.

Awesome support as usual from Brewart.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, dcm said:

Ok, Brewart helped me out on this.  It is true.  For a short while, brews weren't getting flagged as "dry hop".  The resolution is to throw in the dry hops at EOF then wait 48 hours until the 'droid automatically pulls the brew down to storage temperature and then leave it at storage temperature for another 48 hours before kegging/bottling.  Apparently this will auto-magically fix for my next brew.

They can also see what's happening on the fermentation front on my 'droid, presumably they can see more data than I can.  The fermentation is winding down normally and I should see EOF in a day or two so it was just a bit of a slow burn yeast.

Awesome support as usual from Brewart.

Sorry, I had planned to reply to you with the resolution copied from the Facebook group but you have beat me to it.

FWIW I don't want my personal information on Facebook either so I just use a made up email address and profile to access the Brewart group. There is some good information there. Of course it would be best if we could just encourage more users to interact via the community forums.  I guess we're trying.

I have done similar to you with my current brew - just used the usual guesswork and put the hops in when it looked like the fermentation was starting to taper off.

I'm a bit disappointed as I had bought the Dry Hop Filter and was looking forward to seeing the results with more accurate hop infusion but that'll just have to be on the next one.

Unfortunately software bugs happen and I bet the Brewart guys and girls are more frustrated with this issue than we are.

So, just a little something else to watch out for here with the dry hop variants, the sticky labels on the hop sachets denoting what hop type they contain are a little prone to falling off...

Sometimes they fall off in the plastic bag they got shipped in from Brewart, sometimes they fall off into your beer as you are emptying them out and you have to fish soggy label out of your beer.

ONE label falling off a hop bag is just a thing.  TWO labels falling off TWO hop bags is a dilemma because it is no longer possible to easily determine which hop bag is which 🙂

I think I worked it out ok but be careful.

Mountain IPA primary ferment finally finished today so I've chucked in the hops and now have to wait for 48 hours + 48 hours at storage temp.  Then two weeks in secondary, preferably three.

I'm going to have to go out and buy some actual beer...  I won't leave it so long between batches next time.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, dcm said:

I'm going to have to go out and buy some actual beer...  I won't leave it so long between batches next time.

Yeah, that can be a pain sometimes. I reduced my brewing so I coud bring my beers back to a maximum of 8 weeks in secondary, didn't do the maths very well and realised I'm very soon going to be at about 3-4 weeks so I have to space the beer out with some red wine for the next few weeks. I find it hard to buy beers these days unless they are a good craft variety that usually sits around 25-30 bucks for a sometimes 4 pack and being the tightarse that I am, all I can think is that I can brew 10 litres for that price.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Wine was really good...10 year old Coonawarra wine, made up for a disastorous curry (ended up being Hungry Jacks it was that bad). On the positive though, found a bottle of Weisbeer in the mystery box, which reminded me...2 kegs of it (score)

10 weeks in and really just a lovely, cheap beer, sadly drunk in winter because on a 30+ degree day it goes down a treat. Went down a treat tonight too but :)

• Upvote 1